Chapter 7: A Friend

Cassia's point of view:

In a corrupted city some ways down a tunnel in an underground bunker that has been our refuge for the past two weeks, I am beginning to go insane.

Adam has spent his time fiddling with the box of powers, trying to figure out what each one is capable of doing by observing their cells underneath a microscope.

Susan spends a good deal of her time huddled in the corner with her eyes closed, trying to hold on to happier memories that keep her fueled with joy. But even she hates it down here more than me.

Kyle helps out Adam by repairing some of the damaged power cells and recording which powers do what, trying to keep himself occupied.

I've been exploring some of the tunnels, but everywhere I turn ends up being a dead end, almost like a never- ending maze underneath the city.

And while I'm trying to make the best of the situation, I really miss being able to breathe fresh air and see the sun shine its happy face on the world.

My mind itches with suspicion as well.

Even though we've been undiscovered the entire time we've hidden out in the bunker, I can only think about Cade and his shiny police badge that could mean our arrest and ultimate death.

He pleaded with me to trust him that we'd all be safe, and so far he's delivered on that promise. However, I haven't seen him since the day we met, so I can't help but be paranoid that there's some sort of plan going on above ground to storm the tunnels and kill us all.

I think of Julia and Peter as well, wondering what could've happened to them and where they ended up.

The last time I saw Peter, he was in Henley's clutches screaming for us to run. I can't even remember the last time I saw Julia.

All I know now is that I miss them both so terribly that it hurts.

Taking in a deep breath and swallowing my sadness, I take a seat on the ground next to Susan as Adam's box of powers lights up the dark room with Kyle looking over his shoulder.

"You doing okay?" I ask Susan, putting a hand on her shoulder as she fights for her joy.

She opens her tightly shut eyes, pools of brown looking at me from behind black-rimmed glasses.

"I wanna go home," she says sadly, almost like a lost child.

"This is home for now," Adam replies to her, not even looking up from his microscope.

"Well this home sucks. I wanna move," she replies, closing her eyes once again and concentrating on what a real home meant.

I really do feel bad for her; the power of joy only lasts as long as the one who posses it. For the first week we lived down here, Susan kept us all in good spirits with her power as we tried to sort things out, but she can't even keep herself happy now. And when she's not happy, it's as if she has no power at all.

Kyle comes over to her and wraps one of her hands in his, trying to make her feel even the slightest bit better. "We'll get through this," he tells her softly, and she smiles slightly at his words.

I roll my eyes and get up off the ground, the atmosphere becoming too cozy for my taste.

"You guys make me sick; we all got enough of that from Julia and Peter," I jokingly complain, but before anyone can reply, there's a knock at the door.

Everyone's blood runs cold at the thought of being discovered, the feeling of terror running rampant in all of us.

Cade is the only other person who specifically knows where we are, so logic would dictate that it would be him on the other side of the door. But I could be very much and dangerously wrong to assume we could be that lucky.