Chapter 78: In Their Own Time

Adam's point of view:

I find myself in relatively good spirits as I walk to Julia's house the next morning.

The warmth and brightness of the sun is comforting, and the birds provide their own music to liven the atmosphere.

Today will be a good day, I tell myself as I catch sight of her home in the distance. We got everyone back. The worst of it is over; all that's left is to pick up the pieces.

That good feeling, however, begins to fade slightly the closer I get to her house.

The structure sticks out unflatteringly, what with its wilted flowers and dead bushes from neglect coupled with the fact that no light can be seen in the windows, no sound to indicate Julia's even awake yet.

She should be, though. It's past 11:00 am.

I'm nothing if not understanding, however. If anyone is justified in having a horrific sleep schedule, it's Julia.

Soon her home is right before me, and I climb the steps to her front porch, cringing slightly at the creaking of the floorboards as I go.

I raise my hand to her door and knock a few times, letting the taps echo in silence for a few heartbeats.

Nothing.

I try again, more urgently this time, praying that she hasn't locked herself in her room in an attempt to shut everything out.

"Julia?" I speak. "C'mon, it's time to join the rest of the world."

Nothing, again.

A part of me wonders if she might in fact be asleep after all, and for a brief moment, I consider leaving her alone.

However, I also remember that she has the power of senses. With heightened hearing, the knocking should've definitely woken her up. Even the sound of the creaking floorboards should've gotten her attention.

Beginning to worry, I knock again.

"Julia, can you hear me?"

Thick silence is all I continue to receive.

I take a deep breath, wondering if maybe she isn't home. Maybe she went to visit Peter at the hospital, the same place I was on my way to. Maybe she just wants to be left alone. Maybe she's hurt or can't get to the door or...or...

Furrowing my eyebrows, I reach for the doorknob and turn, startled to find it unlocked.

Since when has she ever not locked her door?

"Julia, it's Adam. Are you here?" I call out as I crack the door open, hoping she'll answer me.

But much like before, there's no answer.

Steeling myself for the rush of guilt that's about to come with entering her house without her permission, I push the door the rest of the way open and gingerly step inside, telling myself to stop worrying and that she's probably fine.

I close the door and make my way through the hall to her living room, everything as silent and still as ever. Worse yet, it's absolutely freezing in here. Colder than any indoor setting should ever be.

"Julia?" I ask, my voice sounding concussive in the quietness of the house.

This time, however, an audible sigh is my response.

I walk faster in the direction of her living room, and when I get there, I find the source of the sigh.

Julia is laid out on the floor, appearing half-asleep as her head rolls to the side and her squinted eyes catch sight of me.