Chapter 33: An Electrifying Reunion

Cassia's point of view:

I pace the cell I share with Susan to no end, anxiety holding me in a firm grip that refuses to let go.

Kyle was interrogated two days ago, but he came back seemingly as unfazed as Adam. Susan was then interrogated yesterday, and while she came back looking a bit unsettled by what was probably Will's rage, she hadn't told him anything.

Now all that's left is me.

"Would you stop pacing? You're making me nervous just watching you," Susan comments, glaring at me from behind black-rimmed glasses.

"I'm not as confident as the rest of you. By the time he's done with me, he'll know that we know everything about the box," I admit to my friends in a shaky voice, refusing to be still.

"Relax, I'm pretty sure he's aware that we know everything; he probably just wants one of us to admit it so he has another reason to end our lives," Adam says.

"I thought he was gonna kill us anyway," I mumble, fiddling with my hands.

"And you guys wonder why I keep saying he's an idiot," Adam mumbles back.

I stop walking for a moment to glare at him before I pick up the pace again. "This doesn't make me feel any better. I still don't know what power Cade injected me with but it's getting weaker as the days go by. I have no idea how we're gonna escape this place and I don't know how you guys think we still can," I ramble.

"Have a little hope, Cassia," Kyle reminds me, trying to make me feel better. "Everything's gonna be alright."

"How do you know that? How could any of you possibly know that?" I demand, but before anyone else can try to fill me with blind hope, the guard I had been expecting all morning comes for me.

I look at him, my pacing immediately cut short as dread fills me up.

I know this guard, all of us do. A good man that Adam hired, now here to keep an eye on all of us. He looks at me sadly, unlocking my cell and opening the door for me.

Hanging my head, I obediently walk out and begin to follow him.

But as I pass the boys' cell, Adam reaches his hand through the bars and catches mine, squeezing lightly in reassurance.

"You'll be fine," he promises me, eyes shining in earnest.

I nod and let go, heart thundering madly with fear.

"Okay Miss Cassia; the sooner we go, the sooner this will be over," the guard reminds me, and I resume my walk to the room that will take me to Will.

***********************

I sit in a chair in what looks like an office of sorts, a substantially sized desk in front of me with another chair behind it where Will is going to be sitting.

My leg shakes nervously, and I thread my fingers through my hair in an attempt to calm down.

Maybe my friends are right. Maybe Will really is just an idiot who can't get anything from anyone. Maybe I'm just scared for nothing.

But right when I start to believe this is right when Will walks into the room, and all my confidence shatters on the spot.

I cease breathing and become incredibly still, treating him like a hostile creature that knows all my weaknesses.

Cold, calculating, just like his sister.