Chapter 23: A Midnight Visit

Julia's point of view:

A few days after seeing an unconscious Peter, I find myself twisting and turning in a restless sleep on the floor of my prison cell.

My muscles are sore from the ground and my head won't stop spinning with questions that torment me.

Has he woken up yet? Are his injuries better? Is he himself? Is he going to be okay? Did Henley change her mind and kill him?

The questions agonize me, and no matter what position I turn to or what side I lay on, nothing makes them go away.

If I just knew he was alright, that would be enough. It wouldn't matter what his state of mind is, just as long as he was okay. Then maybe I could sleep again.

"Julia, it's almost midnight and you've been twisting and turning for hours. If you want to see him that badly, go see him," Felicity growls at me from the corner of her own cell, evidently annoyed with me.

"Felicity, I'm in a jail cell," I say, confused that that obvious detail slipped her mind.

"Steven didn't lock your door when he came to check on you for the last time tonight; he told me that he had a couple other prisoners to take care of and that Henley would be in meetings with the other guards well into the early morning. Now, go see Peter," Felicity insists, her voice telling me she just wants sleep.

I quickly leap to my feet for the door, and sure enough, it slowly creeps open when I push on it.

"Oh thank you, Steven," I breathe, relieved.

I push the cell door open the rest of the way and slip outside before closing it again, trying to be as quiet as possible.

"Be careful with him; you don't know what you'll find," Felicity warns me as I head down the hall.

I quickly turn transparent with her words in mind, running through the walls of the long corridors until I slip through entryway of the hall that leads me to Steven's office.

I become tangible once again as I approach the door to his office, my breathing becoming shallow with nervousness.

I stop at the door, and the minutes start rolling by as I debate myself.

This could all be one big mistake. Maybe I go in and he's not himself, and he starts yelling for Henley. Maybe he tries to attack me. Maybe he doesn't remember me at all. I should go back and just let myself be restless with not knowing.

I put my ear to the door, but any sign of real life from Peter is drowned out by the humming of machines.

When did I become so afraid? Five minutes ago I should've been through this door already, yet here I stand still wondering.

I should go back; maybe it's too soon. I only just found out he was alive a few days ago, and people need time to recuperate from trauma. If he was fine, Steven would've arranged a proper way for me to visit him.

Then again, it's not like Steven can walk by and strike up a casual conversation with me whenever he feels like it, for he's as much a prisoner as I am. And considering the fact that he didn't lock my cell door, I suppose this is as close to an invitation as I'm going to get.