Chapter 76: Things Take Time

Cassia's point of view:

The day drags on, taking its time with every minute, every hour, slowly easing itself along until the sun has melded with the horizon and night envelops the sky like a blanket.

Peter has slept through most of it, only waking for a few moments every once in a while before he goes back under. Perhaps he thinks it's the concussion's toll on his body that's riddled him with fatigue, but I know better. His time at that prison, the abuse to his body, the tampering with his mind...I wouldn't be surprised if he sleeps for a week.

He appeared stable when Julia and I were with him. A bit suspicious of our story as to how he got here, maybe, but stable nonetheless. No hints of monstrosity, no red peeking out from the corners of his eyes.

No memories, either, a sad thought reminds me, but I quickly push it away, trying not to dwell on the what-ifs of the situation. Peter's going to get better, and he'll have a life untainted by what was done to him in that prison. He earned his second chance, even if he's no longer aware of what it cost him. He can be happy again.

Sighing quietly, I look at the clock opposite the hand washing station, the hour nearing midnight after a hard-fought day.

A day of rescue, of reunion, of heartache, of hope.

On this rare occasion, I've called in a replacement doctor to head the hospital until morning. I'm dead on my feet and disoriented with exhaustion, and in that situation, I'm no help to anyone.

Even Julia had the good sense to go home earlier and try to get some sleep.

Finishing up at the hand washing station, I pull on my coat and head down to the lobby, sparing a few utterances of "good nights" to those I pass along the way.

But as I pass the front desk and watch the double doors come into view, a few more people enter the hospital. They appear even more tired than me, but when I get closer and see who they are, I suddenly understand that they have every right to be.

It's Adam, finally back from his last trip to the prison. And with him, Cade and Jacqueline, who stayed until every nurse and prison guard was escorted back here.

"You're back!" I exclaim, quickening my pace and enfolding all three of them into a hug.

"And we're tired," Adam sighs, his words almost slurred. "I hope I never have to drive again."

"What'd you do with the car?" I ask as we break apart.

"It's parked out in front of the hospital, but I'm not touching it until morning. I'll move it once I've had sleep."

"Fair enough," I concede.

"Now, if you'll excuse my behavior and forgive my abrupt departure, I'm going to bed. We can talk once my eyes aren't on the verge of falling out of my head," Adam groans, seemingly speaking more to himself than the rest of us.

We bid him goodnight as he shuffles his way out the door, sparing us a halfhearted wave over his shoulder as he goes.

"I'd laugh at him if I didn't feel the same way," Jacqueline admits as we all turn back to face each other.

"Yes well, I suppose we could all do with some rest. Jacqueline, your father and sister are upstairs, room 25B," I tell her.

"Thank you," she breathes, relief creeping in as she turns to go toward the elevator. "Goodnight everyone."

"Goodnight," Cade and I say to her as well, sparing a tired wave of goodbye before we're left alone in the lobby.

I turn to regard him, taking in the slump of his shoulders and the drooping of his eyes, the way he slightly sways on his feet while the fluorescent lights highlight the bags under his eyes.