Chapter 30: The Kiss of Rage

Peter's point of view:

"I can see that she's been testing you, my dear," I speak to Julia a few days later, much in the same situation as the first time.

I'm still bound to the walls with fresh cuts from my restraints digging into my wrists and ankles, right over the spots that she had previously healed. Julia stands a good six feet away from me, taking extra precaution to keep her distance this time.

The brace on her wrist that I broke is enough to remind her to stay away.

I'm happy that Henley still believes that Julia can somehow fix me, because even though it's futile, evaluating Julia does bring me amusement. With her whole life in her eyes, I can't say I get tired of seeing her.

"Looks like you failed your insight test. I can also see that she tried testing you on your power of truth, but it looks like she had to stop the simulation and must retest you later because you weren't 'trying hard enough.' What a shame, Julia. Your parents both had the power of truth, so what would they say to their daughter not trying with a power so dear to them?" I ask, poking at her weak points.

But Julia doesn't coward at me like I had hoped. No, she seems tougher since the last time we spoke, not even flinching at my words now. Instead she just fiddles with the ends of her dark hair, looking more interested in them than anything I have to say. It's both amusing and angering.

"You're running out of time, Julia. You've failed eight tests and only have seven left before Henley gets what she wants from you. I recommend that if you plan on actually passing any of your tests, you do it soon," I remind her, hoping to get some sort of a reaction from the girl.

And to my delight, I do.

Julia lets go of her hair and flicks it behind her shoulder, crossing her arms over her chest and staring at me. Her green eyes twinkle with a minuscule amount of what can only be described as longing, but she keeps it well hidden behind a mask of anger. She raises an eyebrow at me, daring me to push her further.

And Heaven have mercy, this girl is beautiful. While I'm sure she would much prefer to wear something other than a black body suit, or even let her once deeply tanned skin see the sun again, there's no denying that I enjoy looking at her.

However, it's not in the loving way that she would like. I find myself wondering how my hands would feel pulling fistfuls of her silky hair painfully against her head, or how her soft skin would feel under my grasp.

"Fantasizing agony, are we?" Julia asks, her voice somehow rich in both indifference and sadness.

"You read me well," I admit, flashing a devilish smile that has no effect on her guarded demeanor.

"I learned from the best," Julia retorts grudgingly, playing along in my little verbal exchange.

"Now now, I hardly think it's appropriate to flirt with me at a time like this, Julia. You know it would mean nothing," I remind her, rattling the chains that bind me for emphasis.

Julia just rolls her eyes, but to my surprise, takes one small step forward.

Something odd rises up in me at this, and I almost growl at her for this action. A part of me wants her to come closer so I can hurt her again, teach her not to mess with me, but another more territorial part is screaming to stay away. This small spot of walking room is mine, dammit. You get the other entirety of the room, so leave me be.