Chapter 36: Heartbreak

Cassia's point of view:

I was close.

So incredibly close to death that it seemed there was nothing left in the world but suffocation and darkness.

I was ready for it, too.

I didn't want to feel the glass sticking in my back or the bricks settled on top of my head anymore, didn't want the claustrophobic atmosphere choking me any longer.

I wanted to get away from all of this pain.

But then I heard someone far off cry out, somewhat muffled from the wreckage to me, and all my resolve to die vanished in an instant. It was a cry of every pain imaginable, characterized by a shrieking tone that sounded familiar.

I couldn't go knowing people were in pain, not when I could still help them. It went against everything I was, and I knew I wasn't meant to die yet.

I still had people to take care of.

So now, with that realization still in the back of my mind, I try to focus what little clarity I have left into my healing powers, not wanting anyone to have to die this way.

And somehow, with my body still fighting me to shut down, I can feel the twinges of my power trying to break free.

My electricity is gone, probably having worn off, leaving nothing but the pure and comforting feeling of my healing power in its place.

I begin to feel it spreading through my body, my dark crawlspace and the debris within illuminated in blue in its wake.

Healing floods my lungs first, the worst of the damage in my respiratory system. I cough as a reflex, and while a small bit of blood leaks out of my mouth, I can feel myself mending; after a few more seconds of this, breathing becomes easier.

My healing travels next to my entire lower body, practically all the joints having been affected by the impact in one way or another: a misaligned hip here, a kneecap or both barely in place, shattered ankles, broken toes, and the list goes on.

But after my power finishes with all my ailments, nothing remains but a dull pain, a ghost of my detriments.

Feeling stronger now, I try to figure some way out of this dark place so I can get to that cry of pain I heard earlier.

I try shifting my weight to allow me to roll onto my back, intending to use my feet to kick my way out.

Due to the change in position, a few bricks fall onto my stomach and momentarily knock my breath out, but it's still not enough to deter me.

I begin clawing my way upwards with my hands while simultaneously kicking at all the pieces of the building on top of me, excitement settling in when I've moved things around enough to lift my back off the ground a few inches.

I don't stop trying to break through, the will to breathe fresh air crushing my initial wish fade away into oblivion. The more I kick and claw lessens the load on top of me, and it brings me that much closer to escaping.

When I finally see a few pockets of sunlight peek through my dark surroundings, it gives me enough strength to force myself to burst all the way out, leaping to my feet and out of the ruins of the building.

I stumble at first, quickly falling on top of all the rubble before gathering myself enough to stand up straight.

I breathe deeply, trying to get as much air into my lungs as possible. The atmosphere is definitely thick with dust and such, but it's a vast improvement over that crawlspace.