Chapter 35: Please Don't Leave Me

Susan's point of view:

I see nothing. My ears ring. I cannot breathe.

I try to move, only to find that I'm so trapped that it's impossible. I feel as though the weight of the world is on top of me, crushing my small body more with every second that ticks by.

I can tell that I'm laying on my stomach, feeling wood and bricks jabbing me from underneath. On top of me I feel a single mass that doesn't quite feel like debris, but there's so much more on top of that that the overall weight is almost unbearable.

Memories come back, fuzzy of course, but I begin to remember. I remember an explosion of wondrous light, a yell of anger. Then a great shakiness of the building.

The building.

The prison complex collapsed on us.

More memories come back: Will was the one who was angry and yelled. The building shook because he caused it. The building collapsed because he wanted it to.

I remember Kyle trying to shield me as everything collapsed, tucking me under his body to keep anything from hitting my head.

Oh God, he tucked me under him.

That's his body on top of me.

My heart begins to thunder madly with a kind of fear that I've never felt before; if I'm still alive and feel this crushed, I can only imagine his situation.

"Kyle..." I rasp out, the dusty air choking me when I try to inhale.

Silence.

I can't feel him move, can't hear him breathing.

The only coherent thought I can form is that he's been knocked unconscious, and the only way to get him help would be to crawl my way out of here and pull him out of the wreckage.

I try to find a good footing on the ground and push myself forward, but it yields no favorable results. I'm still trapped underneath Kyle, and I haven't moved even an inch. I try to pull my arms out from under me in an attempt to claw my way out, but even that doesn't work.

The air seems to only get thicker with my exertion, so I immediately give up on the idea of getting out myself. I'll have to wait for one of my friends.

My back hurts so much that words don't exist for it, the entire weight of a building on top of and below me seemingly flattening me to no end. If we don't get rescued, and soon, Kyle and I won't be around much longer to tell the tale.

"Kyle...can you hear me?" I try to speak again, but he once again says nothing.

His silence unnerves me, causing horrible scenarios to flood my mind. He could have brain damage from this, or perhaps never walk again. I can barely hold up, so how can he?

"S-Susan?" I hear a broken voice call out, and then I feel an awkward rising and sinking sensation on my back. I realize that it's Kyle breathing, but he's having great difficulty doing so.

"Just hold on...we'll m-make it out of this," I stammer, wanting to give him some sort of hope to hold onto. "They'll come for us."