Chapter 7

"Clint." I said. He looked at me with a strange expression on his face. I couldn't tell if he was sad or happy to see me. "And it's River." I finally said.

"What?" He asked, confused.

"My name. It's River." I said. He looked at me with a knowing look.

"We need you." He continued the conversation.

"Who's we?" I asked him, confused, "and why do you need me?" I finished the question.

"The Avengers"

"No." I reply immediately. Not leaving his gaze.

"Can I at least tell you why?" Clint asked.

"No, because I won't help you." I replied, getting up from the table I was at to leave.

"We need you to help us with a mission." Clint started, "more specifically, we need help taking down a Hydra base." He finished. I stopped. They wanted to take down Hydra, so they know about it, but how much do they know?

"And we don't appreciate you killing two of our agents and knocking the other unconscious." He stated unamused. "We could really use your help River. The whole team wants to meet you." He started to reason. "Natasha even wants to spar with you." He finished.

I went over the words he just said in my head. They want to meet me. Natasha wants to spar with me.
Before I answered Clint spoke. "You're our last hope at this point." He said in a low voice.

"No," I started still not turning around, "I won't help you." I finished. I started to open the door for me to get out of here, when Clint said something. I didn't bother turning around or responding.

"Nice American accent." He said.

Third Person P.O.V.

"Nice American accent." Clint says in hopes she'll turn around and let him reason with her. She doesn't. She keeps walking right out the door, not even acknowledging what he had said. He didn't even know if she heard it. He sighed.

"You blew it didn't you?" A voice comes through the earpiece in his left ear, with a sarcastic tone

"How did you know?" He asked, confused.

"I'm literally watching you, and I can here everything you guys say." The voice continued with the sarcastic tone.

"Oh. Well. Yeah. I blew it." He says into the earpiece, defeated.

"Dammit, I really need a good sparring partner, and she would be perfect." The voice said in a sad yet humorous way.

"Really Nat?" He asks with the sarcastic tone that started with the conversation.

"Just get your ass back ." Nat finally said after a few giggles.

"Alright, alright, I'm coming." He said.

River's P.O.V.

I make my way to another coffee shop, this time expecting to eat something. Once there I order a croissant, and a coffee. While eating I hack into a few data bases. Once I find out who attacked me I realized that it actually was SHIELD and not Hydra.

I had put to and to together and realized that Clint Barton, was Hawkeye. Which means he's an Avenger. Which also means I can never talk or see him or his family again. For both their safety, and my own. After finishing my croissant and coffee I make my way back to my apartment. Once I get back I made my way to the bathroom to shower and get ready for bed. But before I could get to the bathroom I saw a note that wasn't there when I left. I walked up to it and read it: