2.3

❝I am a collection of dismantled almosts

ANNE SEXTON

2.3 : that couple from dirty dancing

OR

season 4, episode 16 : pleasure is my business

"DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY HOTCH WAS CALLED IN FIRST, BEFORE US?" FIN ASKS, SIPPING HER COFFEE AND LOOKING AROUND AT THE OTHERS. It's really strange that Hotch is in Dallas days before them, and only calls them up now. It feels oddly empty without him on the plane, although having JJ back makes it feel a little more normal. Fin's also extremely grateful that she doesn't have to do the media shit anymore. It was cool, but definitely not her thing.

 Morgan shrugs. "No. All the information we have right now is that the unsub is a woman, and a high-end prostitute at that, which means her kills have something to do with sex."

Fin's heart clenches and she takes another sip of coffee, pulling up her therapist's system from years ago. Breathe in. You're okay. Breathe out. No one can hurt you.

Morgan's phone rings and he pulls it out, looking at the screen. "Speak of the devil–it's Hotch." He puts it on speaker and sets it in the middle of the table, so everyone can hear. "Hey, Hotch. You've got all of us."

"All right," says Hotch, "let's talk about what we know."

"Female serial killers are a fascinating field," Spencer says from across the table. His hair is curling more than usual today, probably from the humidity, and Fin thinks it looks really, really cute. "We don't have much information on them, but what we do know involves throwing the rules completely out the window."

"How so?" asks Fin, although she probably knows everything he's about to say.

"Signature, for instance," he replies. "They don't torture or take trophies."

"Because there's no sexual gratification when a woman kills," Morgan says.

"Exactly." Spencer nods. "Murder is the goal; they don't have to do anything extra."

"So basically women are more efficient at killing," JJ says, and Fin can tell she's fighting back a grin.

"Historically, they have had body counts in the hundreds," Spencer replies ambiguously.

"So assuming that the job is the stressor," Hotch cuts in, "what are some of the reasons prostitutes kill their customers?"

"Money, drugs, post-traumatic stress disorder," Morgan lists.