2.9

❝There was no anger in her eyes now but a calm, heroic grief

NIKOS KAZANTZAKIS

2.9 : anthrax

OR

season 4, episode 24 : amplification

(tw: mentions of disease, drugs)

LARS DOESN'T COME BACK UNTIL JUST BEFORE SIX A.M. THE NEXT MORNING. She sneaks in the door, slips her shoes off, and tiptoes into the kitchen as quietly as possible. It's not until she grabs a banana from the fruit bowl on the counter that she sees Fin, sitting up on the sofa with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders.

"Did you sleep at all?"

Fin shakes her head. "I dozed maybe once. Where have you been?"

"None of your business," Lars mutters, peeling her banana slowly.

"As long as you're staying in my apartment, it damn well is my bus–" Fin's phone buzzes on the side table and she sighs. Only one person calls her this early. She grabs it and answers. "Hello?"

"Fin, hey. Did I wake you?"

"No, Jaj, I was already up. What's going on?"

"We've got a case. I can't tell you too much over the phone, but don't bring a go bag. Hotch says be at the office before 7."

Fin sighs and runs a hand through her hair. "Alright. I'll be there." She hangs up and looks over at Lars. "We'll finish this later, okay? I've got a case, so I have to go, and here's how this is gonna go: I'm gonna take a shower, you're going to get dressed. When I leave, I'm taking you to my friend Jo's and you're going to stay there until I pick you up tonight."

Lars rolls her eyes. "I'm not a child. I can take care of myself."

"I have no doubt about that, but I can't do my best work when I don't know where you are," Fin replies, tossing the blanket aside and grabbing her phone. "I want to leave by six-thirty, so be ready."

Half an hour later, Fin is showered, dressed in a pair of black jeans and a brown turtleneck sweater, and on her way to Beyer's Books, a sullen Lars in the passenger seat. They don't speak all the way to the store, and when they pull up to the curb in front of the store, Jo's sitting out on the front step in her coat, smoking.

Fin hops out and hurries to give her a quick hug. "Thank you so much for this," she says, squeezing Jo's hand before pulling away.

"No problem." Jo grins and takes a long drag of her cigarette. "This is your kid sister? Crazy." She waves at Lars. "Nice to meet you."