4.9

❝No human has ever stood so close to my soul as you stood

JAMES JOYCE

4.9 : proud of you

OR

season 5, episode 21 : exit wounds (ctd.)

UNFORTUNATELY, DESPITE HOTCH'S COMMAND TO REST, IT'S ONLY FIVE HOURS AFTER SPENCER FALLS ASLEEP THAT HE'S AWOKEN BY A POUNDING ON THE DOOR OF THEIR HOTEL ROOM. There's been another murder, Morgan says, not too far from the inn–and Garcia was there with the man when he died.

So Spencer shakes Fin awake, and they both get dressed groggily, wiping sleep from their eyes and attempting to put all the buttons and sleeves in the right places. Fin laughs a little when she realizes she's put on Spencer's sweater instead of hers, but Spencer thinks she looks adorable swallowed in his sweater, so he tells her to keep it.

They hurry out to where the body lies, untouched still, and join Hotch, Prentiss, Rossi, and Sheriff Rhodes, who are already standing there, hands shoved deep into pockets to protect them from the cold.

"His name's Craig Ramey," says the sheriff gruffly. "Fisherman."

"Morgan and I met him this morning." Prentiss nods. "He was packing up to leave."

"He's accelerating his schedule," Spencer says, frowning. "We should've had another day. Why change that?"

"Ramey was pretty vocal about wanting to get out of town," Prentiss replies. "If the unsub knew that, he could've struck early to prevent his target from getting away."

"There has to be more to it than that." Rossi shakes his head thoughtfully. "He brought the body to the tavern we're staying at."

"He's telling us that he's not afraid of us," Hotch says grimly. "He's gaining confidence."

Rossi kneels down beside the body, flashlight clicked on, and Spencer follows his lead, leaning over his shoulder. Behind him, he hears Fin ask Prentiss where Garcia is, and Prentiss replies that she's in the lobby with Morgan. Then she squeezes his shoulder gently, and he hears her footsteps against the ground, walking back toward the tavern.

"He switched to a hunting knife," Rossi says, moving his flashlight to the gaping wound in Ramey's abdomen. "Looks like a jagged edge."

"There's more physical damage, too," Spencer says, pointing vaguely at the wound, where the blood is already beginning to congeal. "Like he was cut open." He stands back up, his knee already beginning to ache. "I won't know until Dr. Johnson does an autopsy, but I'd be willing to bet he took a piece of the victim with him."