2.8

❝Love isn't soft, like those poets say

❝Love isn't soft, like those poets say. Love has teeth which bite and the wounds never close.

STEPHEN KING

2.8 : strawberry sugar cookies

FIN DRIVES HER OWN CAR HOME FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A FEW WEEKS. It feels strange driving in silence. She misses Spencer's company. But tonight is serious. Tonight is personal.

The night that Lars snuck into her apartment, Fin had no choice but to explain the situation to him. She would've asked him to leave, but he opted to go before she could've said a word. He gave her a quick hug, wished her a happy birthday, and then disappeared out into the chilly night.

But Fin couldn't bring herself to talk to Lars that night. Not on her birthday. Not then. So they went to bed without speaking.

But tonight is different.

Tonight they have to talk.

So she bought all the ingredients to make Lars' favorite cookies–strawberry sugar cookies, the kind they used to make as kids from a can–and a DVD of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, one of their favorite movies as kids. Oliver had the best Willy Wonka impression. Fin smiles as she remembers the time Lars laughed so hard she snorted chocolate milk out her nose.

When she walks into the apartment, Lars is lying on the couch wearing one of Fin's t-shirts, a blanket Fin recognizes as her childhood quilt from their grandmother resting on her legs, a battered copy of Through the Looking Glass in her hands.

"Hey, I'm home," Fin says, hanging her keys on the peg by the door and kicking off her boots.

Lars looks up from her book. "Oh, hey. How was work?"

"Fine. Pretty boring, actually. Lots of paperwork."

"Eugh." And she returns to her book.

"Do anything fun while I was gone?" Fin asks, setting her grocery bags on the counter.

Lars shrugs. "Read. Organized your closet."

"Hey! Which one?"

She points to the hall closet. "It was a mess."

"Um, there's a method to my madness, thank you." Fin marches over and opens the hall closet door. Sure enough, all the blankets are folded neatly on the shelf, the boxes of old photos and shit are nicely stacked, and a skateboard that Fin's never seen before leans against the wall. "Is this your skateboard?"

"It's not yours."

"I didn't know you skated." Add that to the list of things I don't know. "I have to admit, the closet does look nice. But you can't leave until I know where everything is." Fin walks back into the kitchen and pulls the strawberry sugar out of one of the bags. "So... have anything fun planned for tonight?"