3.8

❝Trauma comes back as a reaction, not a memory

BESSEL VAN DER KOLK

3.8 : a new unit chief

OR

season 5, episode 5 : cradle to grave (ctd.)

"SO ALL THE MOTHERS WERE ABDUCTED AND DUMPED IN NEW MEXICO," says Spencer, pointing to the map behind him. "But he keeps the babies in Arizona."

Everyone's standing around the table–except Spencer, who's sitting–early the next morning, after JJ's given them the news that they found Monica Winmar's daughter–in Arizona. She was adopted four years ago and renamed Lisa, but it's definitely her.

"He knows the police will stop looking at the state line." Rossi nods, crossing his arms over his chest.

"The adoption agency's gonna be our best lead to the unsub," Hotch says, then turns to JJ. "Who handled the case?"

JJ, who's looking angelic in a gray shirt, her hair pulled back into a ponytail, grimaces. "That's bombshell number two. She didn't go through an agency. She was dropped off anonymously at a church."

Emily sighs resignedly. "Hospitals and churches are safe havens. You can drop a baby off, no questions asked."

"Child Protective Services would look for the closest relative," Morgan adds.

"Another search that ends at the state line," Spencer replies, a serious expression on his face.

Fin perches on the table, across from Spencer. "And when CPS doesn't find the closest relative–"

"The baby goes into foster care." JJ nods at her. "Which is what happened to Lisa. She was lucky. The adoption process happened within a month."

"So this unsub had the opportunity to make money off this infant," says Rossi, staring pensively at the map behind Spencer. "He doesn't, drops it–"

"Her, Rossi," Fin corrects him quietly.

Rossi gives her a look that's a mixture of exasperation and pride. "Drops her off at a church, because he knows the state will take good care of her."

"That's awfully considerate," mutters Emily.

"Outside the murders, nothing about this unsub's behavior profiles like a sexual sadist," Morgan says, and then, a little quieter: "As I wrote."

Fin's not sure what's going on: Ever since they came in this morning, Morgan's acted strangely. Ambiguous answers to her questions, not smiling back, no flirting. She's not sure what's going on.