4.8

❝And I, too, am dim to my friends and unknown; a phantom, sometimes seen, often not

VIRGINIA WOOLF

4.8 : little white lies

OR

season 5, episode 21 : exit wounds

FIN'S GOT OLIVER TWIST LYING OPEN ON HER LAP, BUT SHE HASN'T READ A SINGLE WORD PAST THE FIRST PARAGRAPH. Right now, JJ, Emily, and Penelope are probably browsing clothing stores, laughing at something silly that Henry did, reminiscing about what they ate an hour ago, and she's stuck at home, reading while Spencer drums his fingers on the edge of his chessboard, biting his lip as he stares at the pieces.

 It's not that she wasn't invited; JJ asked first, Emily asked a few hours later, and Penelope begged her to come on the elevator ride down to the parking lot. Fin desperately wanted to say yes to all of them, but that's the easiest place in the world for Esther to do something. Out in the city, no protection... That's her happy place. Fin couldn't do it with a good conscience.

So she lied about dinner plans with an old girlfriend of hers three times over and now she's sitting on the sofa, staring at the first page of a book she's read at least twice before, wishing that her stupid mother wasn't a serial killer so she could go out with her friends.

But as nights like these typically go, it gets worse. Spencer's phone rings. He frowns, looking at the screen. "It's JJ. Hey, it's Spencer." A pause, then: "Uh-huh. Okay, I'll be right there."

"A case?" Fin asks, setting her book on the arm of the sofa and raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah, and a bad one," Spencer replies, standing up and grabbing his jacket from the armchair behind him.

Then Fin's phone rings. Spencer frowns at it. "But JJ just called–?"
"I may have lied about where I was going to be tonight," Fin says, grimacing, and before Spencer can respond, she answers the phone. "Hey, Jaj."

"Hey," JJ replies, and it sounds like she's in a car. Probably on her way back from girls' night, Fin guesses. "Sorry to ruin your dinner, but we just got a case. How fast can you be at the office?"

"Uh..." Fin pretends to check her phone. "The restaurant's only twenty minutes away. I'll be there as quick as I can."

"Why did you lie to JJ?" asks Spencer, the minute Fin hangs up.

"Because she invited me to girls' night with Emily and Penelope, and I needed a reason not to go," Fin says, jogging down the hall to the bedroom to grab her shoes. Green hightops should do.