Jaylen's POV
Next summer
"You aren't intruding right?" I say "no, dad. His mom invited me" as I fix my hair and my new nose ring. Dad says "ok" nodding and I say "ok, I'm heading out" grabbing my keys off the counter. I go to Starbucks around the time the party starts. Ethan's mom wanted to get everyone together for a barbecue for the Fourth of July. I put my sunglasses on and I say "damn, I look so good" pulling my phone out. I take a picture of myself and I mumble "this is so getting printed and sent to Ethan."

I get to Ethan's house after getting Starbucks for Jen and I. I go in and Ethan's mom comes over saying "you look so good, honey" smiling and hugging me. I say "so do you" smiling and I say "I'm gonna go see Jen. I'll be back in a minute." She nods saying "she's going through it" and I say "we all are" going up to her room. I knock and she says "I'm not coming down." I say "I didn't ask you to come downstairs" and she says "come in." I go in and I say "hey, babe, how are you?"

She says "you can't use any names on me that I feel like you'd use on my brother. It's weird" getting up to hug me. I chuckle saying "I have other names for him. Don't you worry about that." She says "still weird" and I say "what's wrong?" She says "I miss him" quietly. I say "I know, me too" handing her the drink I got her. Jen says "thank you. It's scary with him gone. I'm used to him being here for me and now that I'm all alone, I feel lost. He's here to tell me what I should be doing and maybe when I shouldn't. He's just always been here for me and I just got shoved off the deep end."

I say "I know how you feel. I understand. It's hard and lonely and confusing. You feel like if you try to stop thinking about him being gone that you don't love him anymore but if you keep thinking about it you're making it about yourself. Like if I keep feeling sad about it, I feel I'm being selfish. If I don't think about him being gone, I'll forget how much I love him." Jen says "it just kinda sucks. I do have good news though." I say "what's your good news?!"

Jen says "so, I met a guy" and I say "and?" Jen says "he's so hot and he's an athlete. He's also too smiley for me to ever be sad around him." I chuckle saying "is he coming over today?" Jen says "yeah, and he's here right now. I have to get up and maybe put more of a shirt on." I say "girl, you look good. Let's go out. The suns good for you." We get up and she says "I'm literally wearing sweatpants, I gotta put shorts on. It's supposed to be hot today."

She gets up and I say "what are these pictures?" I sit on her bed and she changes as she says "I was making you something. Sort of a thank you gift for all the writing mentoring you've done for me." I smile, looking at all these pictures laid out on the bed. I say "where'd you get this?" She says "I asked Mikey if he had any from prom." I smile saying "he's so beautiful" sighing and Jen says "you guys look so in love in that picture. I need someone that looks at me like you guys look at each other."

I smile saying "you will, I promise. My god, he's so cute" shaking my head. The door opens as she changes her shirt and this dude says "uh Jen, who the hell is this?" Jen looks at me saying "this is the guy I was telling you about" and I say "ohhh, yeah, this looks suspicious." Jen and I chuckle, her saying "gee, ya think?" I say "should I go then?" Jen says "no, I still have to talk to you about something. I'll be out in a second, ok?"

The guy smiles and nods, but still glares at me when he walks out. I say "what's up?" Jen says "my dad absolutely hates him." I say "what do you want me to do?" Jen says "get to know him, and convince my dad he's a good guy." I say "what if end up not liking him?" Jen says "then I will break up with him cause if you don't like him, most people won't like him." I say "ok, let's go" and we leave to go see everyone. Her boyfriend is out there by the door saying "I don't see why your dad hates me so much."

Jen says "he doesn't hate you, babe. He's just bitter." I walk in front of them and I say "he's not bitter, you just have to be better, honey." I get downstairs and the whole family is here and Hector says "you look good, how are you?" He hugs me and I say "I'm good" and and Luke says "who's this guy?" I say "no clue" and Ethan's dad comes out saying "how's my favorite almost son in law?" He hugs me and I say "I'm good" then he shakes my hand.

He says "ahh, it's you again" looking at Jens boyfriend. I talk to the cousins for a bit then we go out to the back deck. We sit on the couches and chairs out there and Jen comes with us along with the girls. One of the girls sit next to me saying "hi" looking from my eyes to my lips. Jens boyfriend says "girl, chill, aren't you guys related?"

She says "no" looking at me and Mikey comes out saying "ahh, Bella Caio! Hey, hands off the merchandise. He's off the market" sitting in the middle of me and her. He wraps his arm around my shoulders saying "how are you?" I say "I'm good, how's New York been treating you?" He says "it's weird having the apartment to just Eliza and myself." I say "where is Eliza?" Mikey says "they are hanging out with his parents for the weekend while we're here. I'm going over for dinner tomorrow night."

I smile saying "y'all are so cute." He says "I'm convinced his dad hates me" and Jens boyfriend says "how do I get her dad to like me?" Mikey says "ask JJ, I've been family almost as long as she has. I'm practically related. He's getting married in, he knows how to be liked by the guy." I say "how'd you get introduced to him?" Jen whistles and I chuckle saying "how bad? Like just a shirt was off or what?" Jen says "like bad" nodding and wide eyed.

I chuckle saying "that's why he doesn't like you. Ethan's mom is friends with my mom. I was introduced prior to being found out." Jen says "how did you guys get found out." I say "it's a story and it's very personal to your brother, so I'm not gonna tell y'all without his consent." They all "aww" and we just chill for awhile then I get up to leave. I say "I might be around, just text me" to Mikey and he says "ok" smiling. I go inside and Ethan's mom says "I'm so happy you came!" I say "thank you for inviting me" smiling and she says "it's not a problem." She hugs me and I say "thank you for making me feel apart of the family." She says "aww, it's not a problem, we love having you here" smiling.