Chapter 1

A/N: Hello! I know this mini fic won't be up everyone's ally so please don't feel the need to read it if you aren't interested in Briam, as there will be NO mentions of Theo nor Thiam in this fic!

I have always loved head canons about Brett & Liam's relationship as well as Liam's time at Devenford and he is my favourite character. So with the little encouragement from 11nuttella11 and my discord girls, I have gained the courage to start this fic! So I hope you enjoy <3

LAST MENTION: There will be minimal smut in this story as the characters are underage and although minors do have sex in real life- I am not fully comfortable writing explicit smut for them so it will be more of a brief mention!

A/N: swearing, mentions of child abuse & mentions of domestic violence 

Liam groaned, entering the kitchen his step father was waiting for him. "You ready?" David asked. Liam shrugged, he still wasn't that attached to David at this point, him and his mother had only been together for a year.

He didn't dislike the guy, but he had gotten used to it just being him and his mother. Throwing a man back into the picture wasn't what Liam had wanted, but he didn't want to be selfish. His mum was happy, David treated her right.

A lot better then his father did, that's for sure.

Plus David actually made an effort to get to know Liam as well, he knew when he met Jenna that she had a son. He also knew Liam could be quite the handful at times, their first interaction wasn't exactly great, but it could have been worse...

"Please behave for me, I really like this guy and he's very nice" Jenna said fixing Liam's shirt. Liam rolled his eyes "you said that about Joe and he pushed me against a wall" Liam retorted.

It was true, Joe had been really nice up until he wasn't. One snarky comment from Liam was all it took for Joe to push him, in Joe's mind he was defending Jenna as the comment was aimed at her.

But she promised not only herself but also Liam she would never let another man hurt her or her son again. She made that mistake once, she refused to put him in an unsafe position again.

"I've been seeing him for a while, he wouldn't hurt you, or me" Jenna said trying to sooth her son. Liam again rolled his eyes, "yep you didn't think Joe would either" he definitely wasn't in the mood to meet another one of his mothers boyfriends.

As far as he was concerned he didn't have a dad, he was fine with it. It was better then having a step dad every week, that was just annoying. He just wished his mum didn't have to date, he didn't quite understand why she did.

After everything his father did to them, how could she even look at a man the same way? He couldn't, he never felt safe around older men. He always felt uneasy, the only man he felt somewhat safe around was Mason's dad.

That was the only 'father' figure in Liam's life, he was always willing to let Liam come over. He treated him with the same kindness and respect that he treated Mason with. He also reprimanded him like a son, which Liam didn't mind.

His mother was never good at discipline, hence the reason his father always took over. She couldn't bring herself to hurt her only son, her baby boy. She would never hit him, but even yelling. She couldn't yell at him.

She blamed herself for everything his father did, she allowed him to do it. She had been too scared to leave the man, to scared to take her son and go. He would always threaten to take her to court and considering he was the only one with a job, she didn't feel confident she would win.