【Chapter 1】

"Is that a body?"

Beadie didn't want to look. Her pilot pointed out a lot of things during their flight as they watched over the others, but she wished he would just keep his mouth shut.

Being part of the Air Force had its perks but seeking out dead bodies and mass murder definitely wasn't one of them. In times like this Beadie wished she wouldn't have dropped out of uni, because times like this sucked ass. I should've just become a chemist, the thought came to her mind once again as she leaned back in her seat.

"Echo-1, this is Shadow-1, how copy?" a male's voice rang through the radio, snapping the woman out of it.

"Loud and clear, Shadow-1," Beadie replied in a heartbeat, fastening her seatbelt. This part was her least favorite, mostly because she was always afraid of messing something up. Being the youngest and one of the only two females on the team was stressful. "How are you holding up?"

"Seen better days," came another voice, this one more strained and bullets blazing in the background causing her to flinch. She thought things weren't looking that great but maybe it was worse than they thought. "What's your position?"

"Two clicks to the east of the target," Beadie read off the screen, flicking a switch above her head. The pilot, Drew sent her a glare. He didn't like it when she touched 'his stuff' but she just rolled her eyes at her.

She was just as good as a pilot he was, but Drew liked to think he was the best. Beadie decided not to hurt his ego that day.

Being a Munitions and Missile Maintenance Officer, Beadie knew her way around weapons, more than anyone. That was one of her biggest skills, the other one being able to look innocent and dumb. Given that she was the only woman in her squad, had blonde waves, and the perfect doll face, it wasn't hard for others to view her as a dumb blonde.

"Weapon's hot, Echo-1. Stand by for confirmation."

"Copy, Shadow-1." Beadie got up from her seat, heading to the back where a few other men were busy fastening their gear on themselves.

This was her little squad. They were responsible for taking out targets from afar, usually with missiles or rockets. They were all good at their job, the small number of the team almost made them a family. She wasn't the leader of the group for long, but each of them tried to value her the same.

Even though the girl often felt how they treated her differently.

"Alright, listen up Hellfire!" she clapped her hands together, drawing their attention. "We're almost at the drop-off zone, we'll only have a few minutes to clear everything. We only have one shot. How the missiles looking, Emerson?"

"Ready to go after set-up," the burly ginger guy responded, his eyes skimming over her. He always avoided looking her in the eyes for some reason. Beadie only nodded as she walked over to the terminal, looking at the information they got so far.

"Shadow-1, could you link me to Ghost?" Beadie spoke in the intercoms again, her heart beating a little faster. She felt like she was a kid in the adults' pool and had no idea what she was doing.

You've been doing this for years. This is not different from that. Calm the fuck down.

Listening to her inner voice, she drew in a deep breath and then let it out slowly, trying to calm herself down. This was the most stressful job she ever took, mostly because this was supposed to be a secret assassination. She never worked with these people before, but she heard all the rumors.

Her squad, nicknamed Hellfire was just a little support squad for Shadow Company. She always dreamed of being the best and going far, and her best shot at fulfilling those was if she could get into Shadow Company. So Beadie worked her ass off, took every job nobody else wanted, and now here she was in the middle of nowhere, ready to launch a missile to kill a man she never met.