【Chapter 4】

Later that night, Graves kept his promise and told her everything they gathered from the interrogation.

Beadie listened carefully to everything the Shadow Company leader had to say, biting her tongue the entire time. But when he asked her thoughts about everything, she just couldn't hold herself back further.

"So you fucking let him go?" Beadie asked, the edge of her voice getting dulled by the tiredness in her voice. Graves made a face, not really expecting the woman to snap like that. "Sorry, sir."

"It's alright, I'm upset, too," Graves let out a tired sigh as he plopped himself down on the seat next to her. "We'll figure it out, doll. Don't you worry till you see me."

Beadie smiled, fidgeting with her hands, still feeling down from everything. After everything they went through to catch this man here they were, letting him free to continue his murderous ways and there was nothing they could do about it. Not right now.

"Cheer up, doll," he bumped his shoulder against hers lightly, making her smile widen a little. "We could always drink away our problems."

This finally made Beadie to look at him, her wide eyes searching for any trace of a joke on his face. Philip Graves never ever made a suggestion like that to her. He sometimes went out to drink with some of his friends, but not really from the squad. He didn't like mixing business with pleasure, and that's why it took her off-guard so much.

"You want to drink with me, sir?" Beadie's light voice joked, a skeptical grin stretching over her lips.

"Why not?" he shrugged his shoulder, taking his gaze off the wall and looking at her. It was just not that she registered how close they were sitting as she felt their shoulders touching. Beadie licked her lips, his gaze dropping to her plump lips. "Maybe I could get to know my second-in-command more."

It barely stung this time. He never viewed her more than that, even though she tried to be more. Subtly, so she wouldn't get in trouble. She wanted him to come to her, not the other way around but either he didn't see the signs or just wasn't interested in her that way.

Letting out a small sigh, Beadie got up from her seat and clasped her hands behind her back. She even forced a small smile on her face, feeling the headache pulse behind her temple.

"It would be my pleasure, but we should get some rest," the woman spoke in her usual sweet tone. "Maybe some other time."

"You're right," Graves nodded, getting up himself, too. He was a few inches taller than Beadie, standing taller and confidently in front of her like he didn't just get rejected.

"Well, good night, sir," she nodded towards him as she turned on her heel, heading towards the hallway that led to her room.

"Wait!"

She spun around so fast her blonde locks smacked against her face. Hurridly, she reached to smooth her hair out of her face, her eyes shining brightly with hope as she looked back at him.

Maybe he'll say something romantic. Or how he wants to spend time with her. How he appreciates her.

"I forgot to mention. Tomorrow night we're going out for a lookout," Graves said, the shine in her eyes dimming. "Alejandro got an intel about a local drug lord and he needs our help. You should come along."

Really?

"Really?" her voice jumped higher in excitement, stepping closer to him. He chuckled at her reaction, shaking his head lightly.

"Really," he smiled, Beadie almost jumping in the air. But she should control herself in front of him. She'll have enough time to jump in the air with happiness and scream into her pillow once she got back to her room. "We'll discuss everything tomorrow. Sleep well, doll."