【Chapter 16】

Being back at the base surrounded by Shadows was an eerie feeling. This was just not right and she had to think fast.

Once she got over the shock of Sam's brutal death, she and her team got transported back to the base where Graves imprisoned a few Vaqueros. And she was on a mission the second she stepped out of their car.

She had to find Alejandro at all costs. As soon as possible.

And she had to be clever about it. Most Shadows already followed her every move with their eyes, her previous state causing them to panic. But she could feel their doubt rising as well. They knew something was up; maybe it was her paranoia talking, but she couldn't risk it. Not now.

There were more important things at stake right now. Like Alejandro.

Her heart started beating more rapidly as she thought about him. The woman was worried. She had no idea what the Shadows did with him after they knocked him out. She didn't even know if he was still alive, and that thought alone almost made her spiral into madness.

If she were to ask about him from Graves, that would be too suspicious. But she knew he was in charge of things – but right now, she had to pretend like she didn't know him. Beadie wasn't sure how long she could keep her facade up in front of him: she just wanted to snap. To let her anger out. Show him that he made the wrong decision and what a monster he was.

Because Beadie saw how he treated the locals in the small village. She heard how he mocked a woman before they executed her. He treated them like they were nothing; casualties, as he said. Collateral damage. And that made her sick to her stomach.

Sure, they couldn't do much against the word of Shepherd. But this was too much, even from Graves.

With her head held high, Beadie headed for the locker rooms to change out of her soaked clothes. The material stuck to her skin, weighed down by water and blood. She tried her best not to let her tears fall again as she peeled her clothes off, Sam's blood leaving dark patches against her skin.

She tried to wash the blood off as best as she could with only a tap and no mirror before she changed into a fresh set of uniforms. Beadie pulled her hair tie out of her disheveled bun, making a quick braid out of her wet hair. This wasn't the best, but this will have to do. She wasted more than enough time as it is.

As Beadie strolled down the halls, Shadows hurried past her, parting in the middle as she cut through them. She held her chin up, barely glancing at the men as she walked past them. Still, she felt the weight of their gaze on her, filled with questions.

Maybe they thought she knew about this because she is the second-in-command. Maybe they expect some answers from her. Or they just doubt she can carry the weight of their betrayal. Which, is crushing her soul like a mountain placed on her shoulders. But she had to be strong.

Strong like always. And even if she can't be enough, she had to pretend like she was.

For Alejandro, she'll destroy the whole building if she has to.

So, she headed where she knew most of the information lay between these walls: the control room. There was all the CCTV footage from around the base, and there were the controls for the jails as well. She could easily find anyone in there if she was clever with it.

"Good morning, soldiers," Beadie greeted the two Shadows that were inside, the two men spinning around in their chairs to look at her.

"Ma'am," both of them greeted her back, the one on the left rising from his seat, ready for an order.

She couldn't recognize them like this, in full gear. All of them were wearing the same black balaclava that hid their faces away with the same uniform. The only difference was their body language, and she didn't know these men enough to tell them apart by only that. Or their voice.