25

We got to the family reunion a-

"You know what mom. We know. We were there." Ocean says stopping me mid sentence.

It was now a few years later and we were all sitting in front of a bonfire.

I roll my eyes at my daughter.

"I can't believe you cheated dad. All that talk about staying loyal." Orion says.

Umar shot his eyes to me.

"We had our reasons." I say.

"Yeah mom. I bet you had a very huge reason." Meadow says laying on Zayn's lap.

All the kids started laughing and so did Jax. His three year old runs around us.

"You know what. Let see if you gremlins are laughing when my chancla come across yalls face." I say slumping in my chair.

Im in my mid thirties and Umar is almost 41. He still makes me nervous all the time.

He looks at me and smirk and I almost slap him across his face. He's been annoying this whole bonfire. He not getting none tonight so I don't know what he staring for.

Soon everyone gets ready to pack up. Meadow is going back with Zayn for a sleepover. And River and Ocean have to go back to campus so it's just me, Umar, Orion, and West at the house.

"You three head up there I'll meet you." I say.

I turn towards the Ocean and a breeze blows my braids in the wind. I close my eyes and take a deep breathe.

I once wanted to end my life in the Ocean but now it's the place I come to for peace. My life has changed severely and I wouldn't want it any other way. I have kids and a family. And a man that would catch a grenade for me.

A hand slithers around my waist and I jump a bit.

"What's on your mind?" Umar asks kissing my neck.

"What would've happened if I hadn't came to the bar that night? What would happen if Devin never attacked me? What would've happened if you had of just left me on the beach? What would've happened if we didn't have sex that morning?" I finish.

He doesn't say anything for a moment.

"I would've killed myself." He says and I turn around.

"What?" I ask.

"I was miserable. I was hurting. I was a dead man walking. If it weren't for you, I would've ended myself." He says.

"You never told me this." I exclaim.

"Because I never felt that way with you. That thought hasn't once crossed my mind since that morning."  He says.

I kiss him and he kisses me back. There's no way life just changed like this. No one could ever be this happy. So what's the catch? Why did everything change for me when I was nothing. A nobody. I will never know this answer truly.

"Why us?" I ask out of thought.

He shrugs and we get ready to turn away.

"Thats The Fate Of The Ocean." He says.

We're walking away now and I'm leaning against him.

I turn back and whisper so not even myself could hear me.

"Thank you..."

I dont know if I was talking to the Ocean or God but I knew someone was listening.