CHAPTER 7

"Guys! This woman wrote about me too!" Frank said, perhaps too emotionally, reading faster than before. "Frank provides stability and a lot of the body of their songs with his emotional delivery and high notes."

"Frank, maybe you should stop reading," Finn said with a worried face, but his friend ignored him.

"Still, Frank is an average vocalist who struggles with breath control. At least he doesn't often go shouty like Zeth, growly like Everett or shrill like Draco when belting..." Frank looked up and pouted, swallowing hard. "Am I... Average? Do I really run out of breath that much? Oh Jesus! I should quit smoking! I mean, I do smoke a lot but..."

"Let me read that!" Alycandro said, snatching the tablet from Frank and proceeding to read aloud. "Alycandro is handsome and flirts bilingually, but what good is it for this boy to have a voice comparable to that of the talented Mexican singer Alejandro Fernández if he only uses it for steel-drum-accented romanticism and nothing else?"

"Ouch," Finn frowned. Alycandro huffed but kept on reading.

"From the lows to the top, he retains a great masculine quality, but by not exploiting the potential of his voice, he owes us all a lot, although he makes up for it with his seductive dance moves." Alycandro lowered the tablet. "What?! Is that supposed to be a compliment?!"

"What were you saying about relaxing?" Zeth asked teasingly, raising an eyebrow and smiling. "Who doesn't sing gets critical? That I shouldn't take it seriously?"

“That woman is going to pay dearly for that article she wrote!" Alycandro yelled, the veins in his neck and temples popping out.

"Okay, Alex..." Frank carefully tried to take back his device. "You are squeezing the tablet too much. I just bought this one, and you’ve already broken four."

“In fact, the fourth one was me!" Draco admitted and hung his head. Frank gave him a strange look and Draco nodded with red cheeks. But who could get angry when Draco made his cute, repentant puppy eyes? "Yeah, well... Turns out it's not a good idea to play Angry Birds hanging from the ceiling... Sorry."

“Does it say something about me?" Finn asked, then he drank an entire bottle of water in one go. Annoyed and grumbling, Zeth snatched the tablet from Frank's bionic hand and cleared his throat to read.

“The best way to describe Finn is as a stylistic singer who is an expert doing runs and master of vibrato..." Zeth blushed and gritted his teeth. "Stylistic?! I will show what it is to have style and good taste to that... That..."

“Zeth,” Finn waved his hand for his friend to continue.

"Sure, sure. It's always about you!" Zeth rolled his eyes. "Okay... Finn, Finn, Finn... Here it is! It says... Finn sings with an airy, unsupported quality to his voice. Although his vibrato is very distinct, he can sometimes struggle with breath control, but he is still a decent singer who could be so much more."

"Decent... Not the first time I've heard that," Finn looked down and sighed. "Anyway, who's hungry?"

"Has that woman tried to sing and dance for two hours straight without a break?" Alycandro growled, gritting his teeth. "It's like running a marathon, breathing through your mouth after smoking!"

"If I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day instead of two, do you think my breath control will improve?" Frank asked.

"I doubt it," Finn replied.

"Maybe you could chew gum?" Alex asked.

"It doesn't work," Draco replied, and immediately made scared eyes when Alex growled at him, "I... I've been told."

"Draco, your addiction can't be solved with gum," Alex grunted, "Did you relapse? Because if so, you know that you have my support, everyone's support and..."

"No! I swear that, since those two nights, you know which ones, I haven't relapsed!" Draco shook his head, "I swear I haven't even touched myself... In a week."

"In a week?" Alex widened his eyes and Draco dropped his shoulders.

"Fine! I've only been touching myself a couple of times lately, yesterday and today, in the shower but...” He became very energetic, shaking his hands and head, "I swear I cover Count Quack's eyes!"

"This article is going to end our career... I want a lawyer right now!" Zeth took out his gold-cased phone and typed furiously. "I'm going to sue her!"

"Don't do anything stupid," Alycandro said. "Think before acting."

"You think I'm like Draco?" Zeth eyed Alycandro.

"Hey! I'm right here!" Draco stomped his foot.

"Don't you think you're exaggerating, Zeth?" Finn asked, opening another water bottle. "I mean, Cadence is influential, but it's not that bad. It's just a stupid article."

"Stupid article? Oh no! I'm going to sue her for damaging our morale and image! It is for the sake of our pride, guys. Aren't I a good friend?" Zeth inspected his nails again. "I'm going to show that woman that nobody messes with Monster Mash! It's to defend my honour!"

"Our honour," Alycandro corrected with a grunt.

"Our honour, yes, whatever," Zeth waved off with one hand, reaching for a coat rack to grab the gold and teal fringe jacket he wore for the music video 'Happily Rejected' set in a western-like desert. "I'm going out, I need a cigarette right now!"

"I would like to smoke a cigarette, or two, or three, but I guess..." Frank looked down, "I think I smoke too much and it's already affecting my condition, I mean that woman said so... I'll pass."

“That’s a first,” Finn raised his eyebrows.

"I can't believe what I'm hearing either," Zeth raised his bushy eyebrows, "But I guess it's a change for the better... Is anyone coming with me?"

"Wait, Zeth," Alycandro said, snorting. "I'm coming with you. Anyone else?"

"I'll have a smoke with you too," Draco nodded.

"Hey, but if you come with us..." Alycandro put his hand on the shoulder of the shortest of the group, "Please stay close. Last time you almost got hit by a car. I can't imagine what I would do if something happened to you. Will you promise to behave like someone your age?"

"Alex, I..." Draco and Alycandro stared into each other's eyes. "I mean yeah, sure."

They both smiled at each other.

The wolf could be many things, even grumpy and hot-headed, but he always cared for Draco.

Sometimes it seemed that he was the only one who took all the nonsense his friend did seriously. What if he got hurt? Did no one care that Draco had a habit of almost always getting into trouble?

Maybe Alycandro was being overprotective, but he had suffered a lot with his family. He had lived under the same roof as his father, mother, stepmother, stepfather, aunts and uncles and it had been hell.

And it was worse being the ugly duckling of the family.

Being the ‘child of an affair’ had always been a burden for Alycandro.

Of all the women in the world, his father had to choose his brother's wife to have an affair, right?

And then there was the idea that every man had to be strong, that not the slightest bit of weakness could be noticed in the family, and that everyone had to be perfect, but things were a nightmare behind closed doors. There was only one person in the Alfaro family that Alex could trust, and that was his older half-brother Lyctor. He gave him protection while he was growing up, and listened to him when he was sad without judging him.

Maybe that’s why Alycandro was so overprotective of Draco, because he used to spend too much time with Lyctor and his son, which is why Alex bought a house for his older half-brother and nephew as soon as he could, to help them get out of the cycle of chaos.

But it seemed like Alex had gotten into new and different trouble for becoming so attached to Draco because, honestly? None of Alycandro’s relatives were anywhere near as chaotic as Draco could be.

"Hey! Guys!" Zeth was tapping his foot, standing under the door frame. "Are you coming or what?”