CHAPTER 21

Whenever Jade was sad, she would come down to the boiler room. It was the only place in the entire university without noise, and most people were too polite or afraid to even come near it. The heat from the steam pipes and hot air from the boiler itself helped keep her body warm, and it was peaceful.

On the stone step where Jade was sitting, someone had carved some words...

‘Trenk and Leef are lovers. I, Apaul Nosferatt, know their secret’

She shivered. It made her imagine horrible things about this place that was probably a dungeon in the past.

She stared blankly at the wall for what felt like hours, lost in thought.

There was another thing written...

‘The son of Athenisia is mine, not Tharez's. Signed, Eroz Greak’

Jade had no idea who those people were, but this seemed like a soap opera drama. Perhaps those who were locked up in here were once royalty, because they seemed desperate to reveal secrets of apparently important people.

Important people were always like that it seemed, overly jealous of their fame and power.

She sighed.

Her mind couldn't process why Zeth always acted so rude.

"Never meet your heroes," said her mother, and she was right.

Jade loved all the boys in the band, but Zeth had always been her favourite, and now he was the one she hated more than anyone.

He made her feel inadequate and unworthy because of his talent and good looks. He was an amazing singer with incredible skill, and the way he looked at her sometimes, almost as if she was his prey, sent shivers down her spine.

It scared her.

What did it mean?

Why would he ever hate her?

Although he was arrogant, he never showed himself to be rude to anyone until she became his first victim.

Why did he despise her so much? She had no idea.

All she knew was that this wasn't going to stop anytime soon.

For a guy who wrote a song with his friends about loving a Freak, he was pretty rude to her. It wouldn't have hurt Jade that much if Everett or Finn or even Alex treated her badly, but the fact that Zeth was the boy she admired and loved the most and disappointed her changed the game.

She truly hated, hated him so much that she vowed to return home, burn her Monster Mash merch, and never listen to their music again!

Maybe she was right about her first impression of the boys eighteen days ago. Maybe they were, or at least Zeth, misogynistic and sexist!

The metal door behind her screeched open, and she tried to wipe away her tears with the sleeve of her purple jacket.

"Jessy, can we talk?" Zeth, the golden boy, asked, and she rubbed her temples.

“My name is Jade," she corrected.

"That’s what I said," he replied.

She nodded, even though she didn't want to see him or talk to him.

"How did you know that I would be here?" she asked as Zeth sat beside her on the stone step of the ever-empty boiler room, to the sound of metal crackling in the heat.

"I used to come here when I got frustrated in college, the third time I studied college here, of course," the boy said. When she looked at him with wide eyes, he nodded. "That's right, Draco told me you know it's not a show, that we are real monsters, so I grounded him for a month without his tablet."