CHAPTER 61

Jade opened her eyes and struggled to remember where she was.

Golden walls, gold everywhere, diamonds and sapphires...

Right.

It was Zeth's room.

She was so comfortable in this bed she could not get up, and when she turned to see the alarm clock on the nightstand...

"It's one in the afternoon?!" she yelped. Her stomach tightened with the familiar ache that always came with hunger. She looked around, not finding anything out of place. No one at all. It was just her, the quiet and stillness. "Zeth? Are you there, Zeth?"

"He's gone," a voice said, a very elegant and calm, feminine voice, "I was just about to wake you up actually."

Jade cocked her head.

Wasn't she alone here?

From behind a golden statue, a tall girl, around five foot seven with shoulder-length black hair appeared. She was texting someone, her eyes fixed on her cell phone.

And Jade immediately felt ugly and tiny in her presence.

This perfect stranger was dressed in a long-sleeved blue sweater dress which hugged her professional gymnast figure and fell to a flirty mini hem, and she was also wearing black mid-thigh stiletto boots.

Everything about her screamed style, and that posture, that aura full of mystery, gave Jade the feeling that she shouldn't mess with this girl.

Wow! She looked like a supermodel or some video game character! Even more so with those pistols placed in leg holsters made of apparent black leather.

The girl was the impossible beauty standard Jade detested and refused to live up to, but there was something about her, something empowering, that had left Jade shocked.

This girl had all the confidence and self-esteem that Jade had always wanted to possess.

She had some ‘one woman army’ posture, the way she walked was elegant, she looked muscular but had a feminine figure, and Jade immediately felt envious or, perhaps, hopeful that one day she could be remotely similar to her.

This girl had just destroyed an entire lifetime of beliefs with her mere presence.

She was probably in her mid-twenties, but with one look, Jade could tell she was much more mature.

"Who are you?" Jade asked, sitting up. God! Wasn’t she beautiful?

"My name is Evangeline," the girl said in a calm and collected voice tone, tucking her phone into a pouch on her belt. "They left me in charge of you. I will be your bodyguard today."

Jade frowned.

Bodyguard?

She looked more like a top model than a bodyguard.

She had brown eyes, but they were so dull with seriousness that they seemed black.

"Are you friends with the boys?" Jade asked, and Evangeline nodded with her arms crossed, looking at Jade up and down as if she were jealous of her. How could someone this imposing be jealous of Jade? Even thinking about it seemed silly.

"Zeth left you that phone and I made sure it can't be traced or hacked. Your step-father has already been informed that you're here so don’t worry," the girl pointed to the nightstand where a golden phone lay plugged into an outlet by the wall, next to a laptop. Jade picked it up, staring down at the screen. Her hands trembled.

"Tell Zeth I am very thankful. This phone is very expensive," she said, inspecting it, "How did Zeth know I wanted this one?"

"I sneaked into your room the night Cadence's daughter yelled at you," the girl said, unfiltered and matter-of-factly, "I read your diary and told him the model you wanted."

"You broke into my house?!"

"Just after Alex and Draco left, while you were brushing your teeth. And I didn't break anything, I'm way too talented for that.” Evangeline answered, "I also read that you wanted the band's dolls but you couldn't get them because they sold out quickly and you didn't have enough money to buy them from a reseller. Zeth has already taken care of that."

"Zeth bought me the dolls?"

“They will be in your hands by tonight, but they will not be the regular editions, they will be much more special.” Evangeline looked Jade up and down, letting out a very discreet smile, “Your collection of dolls is also nice, they are all second-hand but it seems that you know how to repair and repaint them.”

"I bought almost all my dolls at flea markets and garage sales... But I'm pretty worried about everything you just said," Jade gulped.

"You should probably eat before our long ride." The girl checked a smartwatch that she had on her left wrist, “I'll wait for you outside. Frank made you quesadillas and instant soup last night, but you fell asleep quickly. I'll heat them up. Or do you prefer something else?"

When Jade heard the word 'quesadillas’, she smiled.

"No, that’s okay. Quesadillas and soup are fine." She stood up. "Thank you, Evangeline. I will shower first."

"I still have to drive you. Dress in your best clothes. We will go to Sydland," she said. "That's why he left me in charge."

"Zeth?"

"I wish it had been Zeth," Evangeline shook her head as she walked gracefully to the door, very agile in those boots. Now that her back was turned, Jade noticed that she had a silver gun in a holster on her belt right where her back stopped being her back. Jade was feeling quite envious because she wanted to have a butt that sensual, but the gun was what caught her attention the most because there was some kind of hook coming out of it. Was that a grapple gun like those in spy movies? "If you're done staring at my butt, I'll answer your question," Evangeline said and Jade turned red with embarrassment, looking into her eyes, which really seemed to be full of envy, "Frank is the one who asked me to escort you to Sydland. That boy seems to like you enough to ask me to be your babysitter."

"Frank?" Jade cocked her head and searched through the bags of clothes, picking the black dress with diamonds, gold-heeled booties, and a jacket of the same colour. "And what are you supposed to protect me from if I'm no one important?"

"I haven't stopped asking myself the same thing," the bodyguard said with a grimace, perhaps a bit of jealousy in her tone. "Now hurry up."

"Hey, but where do you know Frank from? Are you a monster?" Jade asked with her clothes in her hands, and the girl shook her head.

"I'm a monster, but not like them.”

"And why do you say you're a monster?" Jade insisted, and the girl took a long breath.

"Because if it weren't for me, Frank would never have needed prosthetics." she said and Jade gasped. "Now stop asking questions and hurry up."

Evangeline left the room, and Jade froze.

Why would someone ever hurt sweet Frank?

And why did Evangeline sound so cold and unfeeling?

Why was she so mysterious?

Why would Frank keep that girl around in the first place?

And why would he task her with protecting Jade if she was the one who hurt him?

Or was there something else going on?

Why would they leave her with this girl, knowing how dangerous she was?