CHAPTER 62

After two hours of driving down a tree-lined highway to get to the wealthiest city in Terdel County, nervousness hadn't subsided, but the six members of Monster Mash got out of their respective cars and entered the studio wearing their most convincing masks of confidence.

Everett had driven with Laska, and she had been assigned to a dressing room that the six boys were to share. It was half past one in the afternoon, and there was still a lot to do and nothing ready for the show.

The place was huge. Two aisles between the seats formed a triangle towards the diamond-shaped stage, and from there, it looked like it extended out into space.

It was all lit up; every bit of the building was illuminated with a thousand fairy lights that hung down on each side, creating an almost ghostly scene. The whole place would be packed with people tonight.

“Remember, guys," Zeth whispered, "No matter what, we'll just pretend to rehearse and stick to the plan when the show begins, okay?"

All the boys murmured yes.

"Glad you are here," Anton said, standing on the edge of the stage. The voice of this damn boy echoed in the empty place. "We were just talking about you guys."

Behind him, Mort, Paul, and the Hill twins appeared.

Standing in the left aisle, looking up, the Monster Mash members glared at their rivals.

They did not care how nice these kids looked in tailored suits; they just wanted to kick their collective asses.

Paul stood by Mort's side, both to Anton's right, the twins to his left.

"We finally meet, Anton," Zeth spoke up. And oh! How he wished he had a dragon right now, a dragon like his ancestors, so he could put an end to all of this, but burning people alive with dragon fire wasn't legal now, and he did not have a dragon.

He had grown up hearing war stories before experiencing the largest and longest war in the history of Evalon first-hand, but his favourite was the one about the Ambush of the Nosferatts.

During the Clash of the Rahmans, Counts Count Presso Coffybean and Count Sangryo Wynegrape attacked Duke Branchon Nosferatt's army, who had sworn allegiance to King Anuber's cause to prevent Princess Elizekhmet from usurping the throne.

When the Nosferatts were starting to crumble and defeat seemed all but a foregone conclusion, a massive shadow appeared in the sky above them and blue fire fell from the sky upon the vineyards of Robleston. It was Commander Heruz ‘The Giant’ Rahman mounted on Horrux, a huge dragon with golden wings the size of an entire village, sapphire blue horns and eyes, and teeth as big as spears. It was then that the battle turned to the favour of King Anuber's forces and the rout was underway with heavy losses in the retreat.

Zeth already had in mind what his blue fire would be, and would allow this pseudo defeat to continue for now, but soon, he would have the upper hand again.

"We're here to rehearse," Zeth said, "So get off the stage."

"You won't give me orders," Anton said defiantly.

"Well, I'm not asking you," Zeth raised his voice, "Get down from there, or I'll make you," and his eyes flashed in a golden colour.

"That's how you deal with a stuck-up brat," Alex whispered, laughing internally.

"W-We haven't started rehearsing either," Anton gulped, "I don't m-mean to be rude, M-Mr. Rahman, but..."

"I was hoping you'd show up," said a voice that Zeth and Draco immediately recognised.

A scarlet-haired man (Although already almost bald) in a black tailored suit was sitting in one of the armchairs.

"Tom O'Pry," Zeth crossed his arms, "Long time no see. I still wonder if you eliminated Monster Boys and Super Mash out of spite or if it was because of our blinding talent."

"You weren't lacking in talent, Zeth," Tom stood up, limping slightly as he walked closer, "My wife and I don't hold a grudges against you. But you and Draco had no chemistry with the other Monster Boys members. And we didn't want monsters in the spotlight for security reasons."

"Thank you for worrying," Zeth nodded, "Thanks to you, I found a family," then gestured to his five friends, his brothers.

"You'll be rehearsing together, my boys and you," Tom said, pointing at the stage, "Because you're going to sing together."

"I'm not going to sing with those Neanderthals!" Anton exclaimed. What a way to talk to his father!

"Well, you don't have a choice, son," Tom replied, "You're going to sing a Monster Mash song and the new Sixth Octave single, a mashup."

"Sounds good to me," Mort nodded, but Anton turned to look at him over his shoulder with angry eyes.

"I also thought you could sing parts from the other band," Tom put a hand on Draco's shoulder, looking up at his son, "It's not a mashup if we don't mix voices. You choose who will sing what, and Monster Mash," Tom turned to the boys, "Please choose your song soon so I can finish the remix."

"We have no doubt which song we will sing," Zeth looked at his companions, and they all nodded.

"Call Me Your Monster," they all said in unison.

"It's a hard song to sing, lots of high notes," Tom said as he turned to see his son and his friends. "Remember, Anton, there is a difference between singing and yelling."

"Yes, sir," he saluted.

Tom waved a dismissive hand.

"Let me know if you need anything. I need to get back to work. I'll have your song mixed with my son's in half an hour so you can rehearse."

And just like that, he left.