CHAPTER 43

"We don't have any dancers. Everyone is either back home or already with their families," Alex said, walking into the backstage area with a clipboard in hand. "I don't understand how we're supposed to prepare a show in a few hours and... Why is this guy here?" Alex stared at Kevin, and immediately blushed.

There was silence, and then Kevin sighed deeply.

"The cheerleaders have practice tomorrow even though it’s Saturday. Extracurricular classes for extra points. The dance class will be there too, That's what Dean Maddox Hill told us when we asked if we could use the facilities to re-shoot if necessary. Maybe you can use that, it's not much but it's something," Kevin said, and Alex looked up at him with doubtful golden eyes, "I also worked on some strip clubs in Sydland during massive parties and shows. There are guys who owe me favours... Strippers."

"Why would you help us?" Alex cocked his head.

"Because I'm still the boy you met here, Alex. I've always been a Masher. I've always wanted to sing with you. I even liked to sing in my apartment until my mother had enough. Even so, she liked it when I sang the verses of..."

"Mine?" Finn asked, and Kevin nodded.

"How did you know?"

"Our speaking voices are similar, although you speak a little deeper than me," Finn turned to his friends, then back to Kevin. "And you have friends who can dance at the show tomorrow."

"I know what you're trying to do, and I really don't mind asking my friends to help you guys," Kevin said, putting a hand on Finn's shoulder. "I will not ask to be in the band to help you."

"That won't be necessary," Finn turned to Zeth, Alex, and Everett. "Guys, if we give Kevin a spot in the band, not only will we destabilize Sixth Octave, but we'll also have dancers for tomorrow's show."

"I told you my help is unconditional," Kevin insisted.

"But are you willing to abandon Anton?" Finn insisted.

"In fact, I was going to tell him to fuck off in the morning, but my contract is more unfair to me than to anyone.” Kevin grunted. “You have no idea of what my true place in the band is, Finn. Do you think you are invisible? Wait until you see what Cadence had planned for me. Even the paycheck is the same as what I earned here, including tips."

"What about your contract?" Alex asked. "Won't you get in trouble?"

"What do you recommend?" Kevin asked, and Zeth shrugged. "I can't leave the band unless Cadence kicks me out."

"I have a good lawyer," Zeth explained. "But if you want to know, none of us, meaning Frank, Draco, Alex, Finn, or Everett, have contracts. We are all a team, a family, and families don't need contracts."

"And that's why I'm going to leave the band," Finn said, stepping closer to Kevin's side. "I don't think I should continue the struggle. I am content with my life and I'm happy to spend the rest of it with the people that are important to me in Hawaii, Even if I'm not important to them," A smile broke out on Finn’s lips, and his lime eyes narrowed with a look of pride in them. "I'll film the video tonight, and then I'm leaving."

"But Finn!" Alex stepped forward, but Zeth put up a hand to stop him.

"If it's your decision, we respect it," Zeth nodded. "Don't worry, I'll make sure that your parents are informed that you will go back to Hawaii."

"Thank you," Finn smiled and hugged Zeth's shoulders, then walked over to his friends' sides.

"Well, what a shame, Finn," Alex pulled him close and messed his hair. "Cause you know we'll miss you if you quit, right?"