Six

Anastasia froze at her father's voice.

He wasn't like her mother, but he would still question her for being outside with Austin instead of mingling with the partygoers.

"Your mother will kill you, cupcake. And she'll kill me for allowing this," Amadeus murmured, making Austin raise a brow.

He stood up and offered Anastasia his hand, which she took, and helped her up.

"Austin Landry, you can call me Bubba," He wasn't letting up on his name.

If Mr. Randolph didn't like it, he was one of many.

Amadeus looked between the pair and hummed.

He wasn't sure what he was seeing. However, he didn't mind.

"Good to meet you, Austin Bubba. Dominic has praised you as a musician. He left out the Bubba part, is it your first name?"

Austin chuckled and shook his head. "No sir. I reckon I got called Bubba more than Austin growin up. Just stuck on me like a tick,"

Amadeus laughed and smacked Austin's shoulder, rather hard if Anastasia could note.

Though, Austin didn't flinch.

"You've got a strong accent, son. I believe Dominic mentioned where you grew up, forgive me for asking now, where did you grow up?"

Anastasia stared at her father.

Or the man who appeared to be her father.

She'd never seen him around a man like Austin, so she wasn't sure what to expect.

She definitely didn't expect him to accept him kindly. He got along better with Austin than he did with his friends.

"Pardon my manners, Amadeus Randolph. I'm the father of this beauty and of course, Dominic," He shook Austin's hand and smiled.

Austin liked Amadeus.

He was refreshing. Not stale or uppity like the women he'd met so far.

"Well, Mr. Randolph, I grew up almost in the Atchafalaya in Louisiana. My folks had a house a few feet off the water," He explained, making Amadeus smile.

He motioned to the lake. "Oh, I understand why I found you here instead of in there."

Austin nodded.

Amadeus wrapped his arm around Anastasia and kissed her cheek. "That doesn't explain what you were doing out here, cupcake."

Anastasia sighed and eyed Austin.

She wasn't sure if he wanted her to share what happened.

"I came out to get some air. Chère followed me out here to make sure I was good. You gotta good host on your hands, sir." He winked at her and she rolled her eyes.

Amadeus squeezed her shoulder gently. "She's something special."

It felt like she was in a different world.

Anastasia had never seen her father so amiable with a stranger.

"Well, why don't we head back inside? Or if you two would like to stay out, I'll excuse myself." She insisted.

Austin held back a groan.

The last thing he wanted was to be around those stiffs.

However, he didn't think it'd look good if he stayed outside alone for the rest of the afternoon.

"You go on, cupcake. Austin, I mean, Bubba, and I will take the speed boat for a spin." Amadeus said, making Austin smile.

His prayer was answered.