Seventeen

Her heart was leaping.

That was the 'fearful' feeling.

And she didn't feel shattered.

It was right.

She wouldn't jump to conclusions now, though it was settled truth.

It was nice to be held.

To be swayed.

To be sung to; a song from the heart of a good man.

As they lay on the blanket once again, Anastasia felt aware.

She remembered excusing Austin's compliment on her beauty as a mistake. He meant the necklace, she assumed. It was a mishap.

It wasn't.

He meant it.

His compliments were truly sweet.

Wholesome.

Lacking motives.

He enjoyed being with her.

He found her beautiful.

Delightful, as he sang.

It tickled her heart to know.

She wasn't sure if anything could come of their friendship, but she delighted in it.

She delighted in knowing that Austin's affection wasn't a premeditated reason for befriending her.

Could she admit the same to herself?

Affection for Austin.

She could.

Tonight was the night for such a thing.

A night of double firsts.

She laughed softly and stretched her hands to the sky.

"Share the wealth, chère," Austin muttered and stretched his arms, mimicking her. "This some posh stretch?" He teased.

Chère.

She should've known something like this would happen when she told him to call her chère.

"I was only thinking of tonight being a night of double firsts, and no," She gently nudged him.

Her phone buzzed beside her and she sighed.

It was a message from her mother.

Mother: Darling, tomorrow we will be hosting brunch. It will begin at 11, please arrive fifteen minutes early.

"What's got your face so pouty, chère?" Austin noted as her cheerful and stunning expression melted away.

He noticed everything.

She liked that.

Partially.

Mother: Dominic will be joining us as well. His friend Austin may tag along, as his people say.

Anastasia wanted to grumble, but having them there would make it better.

"Wait," She murmured. "My mother says you'll be joining us along with Dominic for brunch in the morning,"

Austin narrowed his eyes at the news.

"Nic," He grumbled. "I tell you, chère, that brother of yours ain't learned a thing," He told her but then smiled. "It ain't too bad though. I do get to see you again, you sure do make it worthwhile, chère," He wiggled his brows.

There it was.

The heart flutters.

It wasn't anxiety.