Bonding

I toss and turn in bed for a few more moments before groaning in annoyance, not being able to sleep

I climb out of bed and pull on a hoodie before heading towards the kitchen for a glass of water.

I walk past Serena's door, it being ajar and revealing a completely empty room. This wouldn't have concerned me since I told her that she could be out in the living room but because the entire house is completely silent I start to feel skeptical.

As I predicted the living room is completely empty, the box of Monopoly still in the middle of the floor.

She couldn't have seriously tried to run away again right?

My eyes are drawn to the back door, the curtains rustling from the wind creeping through the crack in the slightly opened door.

"Serena?" I call out as I open it, scanning the back garden. It takes me two seconds to spot her, her muffled crying alerting me to her presence in the corner of the porch.

"Serena?" I repeat more urgently.

Her head is hidden in between her knees as she cradles her legs, her crying so quiet I wouldn't have been able to hear it if it wasn't so silent outside.

I approach her quickly, scanning the area for threats as I do so. I sit next to her, the rusted metal chains holding up the seat rattling under the strain of my weight.

I know she's aware of me, the fact that her whole body briefly tensed when our arms brushed against each other giving her away.

We sit next to each other, neither of us uttering a word. I had decided that I would wait until she calmed down to ask her what's wrong but I give up on that plan altogether when her cries only intensifies.

"Serena look at me," I state calmly, my body tilted in her direction. She doesn't respond, her body still trembling.

"Serena," I urge again, prying her arms from her face. She relents, her arms limp at her sides as she avoids eye contact with me.

I don't know what to say or how to comfort her because I don't know why she's upset so I do the only thing I know how to do and pull her into my side.

My arm wraps around her, her head resting on my chest as she tries to calm herself down. I can hear the faint hum of music from the headphones discarded on her lap as we sit in silence, the moonlight illuminating our figures as the porch swing ever so slightly sways us back and forth.

"Sorry," She mumbles after a few minutes of leaning on me, pulling herself away. "It's fine," I assure her, pretending that not having her close anymore doesn't leave me feeling empty.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" I question, needing to know what got her so upset. She doesn't say anything for a few moments but I can practically hear the wheels churning in her head.