idioms

warning (again, lol) — you're probably not gonna like Ry in this chapter. This is also a reminder that I'm aware that I skipped an episode.

—

"Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes, all tools the writer uses to tell their story."

Austin tapped at Ryder's back, hinting at her to sit up before Ms. Blake told her something. The girl straightened up, pushing herself further away from him.

"Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents."

"You and every guy I've ever dated." The Martin girl hummed.

Ryder chuckled, shaking her head slightly before leaning on her hand.

"Oh, um, well, that was an idiom, by the way. Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or the culture. They're phrases that only make sense if you know key words. Saying "jump the gun" is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race, or a phrase like "seeing the whole board."

"Like chess." Stiles mumbled, more to himself, but the teacher heard due to how close she stood.

"That's right, Stiles. Do you play?"

Stiles shook his head, almost shy at all the attention he was receiving, "Uh, no. My father does."

"Same, that shits boring."

"Language, Miss Miller."

"She just insinuated having sex with her exes but I can't the word 'shit'?"

"Ryder." Austin whispered to her, not wanting the girl to hager in trouble for talking back.

"Sorry, ma'am." Ryder pressed her lips together in a thin line, tilting her head back as Austin accidentally tugged a little too hard on the braid he was doing. She heard him whisper a soft 'sorry' before she waved a hand to let him know it was okay. Despite gesturing that the action didn't bother her, she still tapped at the desk in slight annoyance as he continued to brush his fingers through her locks.

It may have been keeping him calm and entertained, but it was doing the opposite for her.

"It's alright. Now, when does an idiom become a cliche?"

"When it's overused." Austin answered, sending the woman an apologetic look when he realized he hadn't raised a hand.

"Good." Jennifer nodded. (A/N: i just realized she has the same name as Austin's mom smh), "Any examples?"

"Think outside the box." Ryder spoke up, her bored eyes traveling to the drawing Lydia was currently coloring in.

"You believe that's overused?"

"Overused and stupid."

Ms. Blake hummed, "How so?"

"Because, you know..." The Miller teen trailed off a bit.