Chapter 7: Third gift

Snow was falling slowly on the courtyard as the Yule day began. Yule is a time of great power. It marks the sun's return when the days finally start to get a little longer. It's also a time to celebrate with family and friends and share the spirit of giving during the holidays. Percilla woke up to a knocking on her window. It was an owl she had not seen before. Once she opened the window, it had flown in only to drop the present and leave again.

Percilla shut the cold out before going to open her present. She had sent her gifts to her brothers and parents the days prior, hoping they would deliver in time. Her mother still has not tried to reach out and was worrying. Percilla knew that it was a bad sign. Molly Weasley's first line of emotions was anger. Percilla had expected a howler but instead received nothing.

Pulling out her wand, she tapped the box twice, ensuring it did not have one of the twin's pranks embedded. Once it was safe, she began opening it. Inside took her breath away as a beautiful dark green lay inside. Pulling the letter out, she began to read.

Dear Percilla,

It was lovely meeting you the other day at Hogsmead with Marcus. It is genuinely touching that my son was able to carry on the traditions laid out by the Flints of his time with your encouragement. I pray mother magic endows you fully on this lovely Yule, and with that, I gift you anew.

Yule is here, and I smudge this place,

Fresh and clean, in time and space.
Sage and sweetgrass, burning free,
as the sun returns, so it shall be.

Truly,
Lady Melantha Flint
The Victorious and Most Ancient House of Flint
One house. One Family.

Percilla couldn't stop the smile as she held the dress up. It was velvet and soft. It would match the comb that Marcus had given to her. Percilla didn't wait as she ran off to prepare for the day. Once completed, she braided her hair in an intricate braid before sliding her comb in.

The dress had come with lace gloves that Percilla slid on. She was so surprised by the Lady she saw standing in front of the mirror. Percilla smiled as she twirled around, watching the dress twist and move.

Moving back to the bed, Percilla grasped the gift she got Marcus. Percilla had never gotten someone a gift as expensive as the one she held. The money she was getting for tutoring and lesson plans she saved. She was absolutely gitty as she walked from her dorm and down to the common room.

"Really, Harry? You just run off and don't even return to the bathroom?" Percilla could hear Ron's voice carry as he shouted.

"I told you already, Ron, I got caught," Harry's voice seemed to have a pleading edge.

"Yeah, whatever," Ron was never one to accept an apology or an excuse, even though he had plenty of them. Percilla knew that Ron's undoing would be his own as he could not keep that temper in check. "I'm going for breakfast."