Reckless.

The morning light filled the bedroom, casting a gentle gold glow onto Tom's face as he woke up. Tiredly he rubbed his eyes as his legs stretched out under the covers, a yawn escaping his lips. Turning his head he noticed a figure laying beside him. Her long dark hair was sprawled out over the pillows.

There was a split moment where Tom's heart started to race, hope took over his mind. Could it be?

Maeve.
Maeve.
Maeve.

Just as it begun, it ended.

Tom knew there was no way in hell that he could get Maeve O'Conner in his bed. Despite his good looks and charming personality, Maeve seemed completely unfazed by him.

Memories from the night prior began flooding his mind. Seeing that girl dancing and taking her home, then there was the date. He refused to let his mind pounder on the events that occurred on that date.
Not wanting to wake the mystery girl, whom he had yet to get the name of, Tom quietly slipped out of the bed and into the bathroom.

Thankfully the girl did not wake up.

Quickly he got into the shower, his body relaxing under the hot water and causing condensation to build up on the glass door.
For a moment he just stood there, wiping his eyes with his hands as the water hit his face.
There was an odd feeling pooling in his mind, a mix of tiredness, anger and confusion. It caused his focus to be diverted away from reality.

Once he was finished in the shower he dried his body and hair off with a towel, he quickly changed into clean clothes still trying to keep the noise down.
Opening the bathroom door he sighed in relief upon seeing the girl in his bed still sound asleep.

That relief didn't last when he took one step over the threshold of his room and a voice called after him. He closed his eyes as he felt his annoyance grow. He took a deep breath in to contain any snarky remarks that might slip out.

"Come back to bed!" The girl whined. She sat up in the bed not bothering to cover her naked upper body. Her hair was slightly tousled, but other than that she didn't look bad despite only after waking up.
She reached her arm out to Tom, beckoning him over.
"Let's have so more fun." She whispered, slightly leaning her body forward as she looked up at him with wide, mischievous eyes.

At that moment the idea sounded absolutely awful to Tom. Maybe it was due to how tired he was feeling, or perhaps because he couldn't stop thinking about that dreaded date. He forced himself to plaster a fake, charming smile. He turned around and slowly walked over to the bed. He crawled over her body as he pinned her down with his lips on hers.

She was left breathless when he pulled away from her. She smiled enticingly at him as she cupped his jaw.

"Come back later tonight. And give that friend of yours a call." Tom murmured. He got up from the bed and walked towards the door. He needed to get away from her, all he seen when he looked at her was Maeve.

Tom heard her getting out of the bed before he left the room completely.

Bill was sitting on one of the stools in the kitchen, drinking from his mug of what Tom presumed was coffee. Bill smiled as he seen his twin enter the kitchen.

"You were late coming home last night. Does that mean the date went well?" Bill teased his brother. He took another sip out of his mug, watching his brother as he did.

Tom sighed. He turned his back to his brother to prepare his own coffee.
Why does everyone care about that stupid date? It's just a date, Tom thought bitterly to himself.
"It went fine." Tom grumbled.

He heard Bill scoff.
"It went alot better then fine from the noises coming from your room last night."

Tom's movements paused as his body tensed. Shit.

"Just admit it, I did a fucking good job finding you someone."

Tom squeezed his eyes shut as he heard footsteps approach the kitchen. Fuck.

"There you are!" The girl from last night called, she wore the same dress and heels from last night. Her hair looked somewhat neat and the smudged makeup that was on her face was gone. Tom heard her walk towards him.

"Maeve?" Bill whispered in a voice of complete disbelief. He stared at the girl in shock.

The girl heard his words. She turned her head to face him as she frowned. "Nope. I'm Ava." She introduced. She waved politely at Bill. "That Maeve girl sure is lucky, Tom said her name a few times last night."

Bills lips parted, he had actually became speechless. Slowly his eyes moved from Ava to Tom.

"Don't worry, I don't mind." She giggled. Reaching her hands onto Tom's shoulders, she stood on her toes to be able to place a quick kiss on his lips.
"I'll see you tonight." Ava promised with a smirk. Returning to her normal height she gave Tom one last grin before slipping out of the kitchen and out of the twins home.

When it was just Bill and Tom who remained alone in the kitchen, the room had turned quiet and awkward. Tom turned back around to continue making his coffee, hoping his brother would magically forget what had happened.

Luck wasn't on his side.

"What the fuck Tom! You said Maeve's name whilst having sex with another woman? You had sex with a girl who looked exactly like Maeve?" Harshly Bill placed his mug on the counter. His stare was so strong it could've burned holes into Tom's back.

"Just drop it Bill." Tom muttered in frustration. His movements stopped, his hands rested against the counter, he released a breath as his head pounded.

Tom knew he fucked up, he also knew Bill wouldn't just drop the subject.

Bill got off the stool he previously was sitting on. He rounded the counter so that he was standing beside his brother. He forced Tom to look at him as he talked.
"You told me you were over her." Bills voice softened, it had a slight bit of sympathy to it.

Tom's gaze dropped before flickering back up to Bill.
"I am." He spoke lowly and without confidence. Both brothers knew that wasn't the truth.

Bill quirked a disbelieving brow.
"Are you in love with her?"

Tom wanted to lie, it would be easier that way. But God, has he ached to say those words aloud. To finally admit what he wouldn't let himself believe.

"Tom-"

"I don't want to talk about this right now." Tom snapped. Forgetting about his drink, Tom quickly left the kitchen before Bill could stop him with more questions.

Bill watched his brother leave the room. He cursed himself for being so blind. As kids he knew Tom and Maeve were always close. Tom never went to the effort of gathering flowers for any of the girls he talked to. Yet when Tom and Maeve parted ways at the start of the Humanoid Tour, Bill just presumed there was nothing going on, that nothing had happened between them. Tom seemed quieter during the tour, distracted almost, but idiotically Bill never connected the dots back to Maeve.

But he seen it now. It was clear now, painfully so.

_________

Don't forget to vote!💙
_________