Beach Day

Chapter 2

REINA

I walk into the kitchen and find Xavier sitting at the breakfast bar eating a bowl of cereal.

"Damn, you look rough." He laughs.

I glare at him.

"Enjoying filling your body with all of that processed sugar?"

I open the fridge and get out eggs, turkey bacon, and some fruit.

"I'm enjoying the finer things in life sis."

Xavier speaks with a mouthful of cinnamon toast crunch.

"Where is dad?"

"He had to go see a client of his, said it was important." He shrugs.

"Oh, okay."

I cook myself up some scrambled eggs and turkey bacon and cut the fruit I found into small pieces.

"I'm going to head out to the beach today with some friends if you wanna come."

Xavier places his empty bowl in the sink.

"Yeah, sure sounds fun."

"Aight be ready in an hour then."

"Okay, boss." I give him a salute, and he rolls his eyes.

"Will your new woman be there?"

"Girl, please, you ask as if we legit."

"Aren't you?"

"You know I don't do commitment."

He shrugs, and I roll my eyes.

"Will Zenith be there?"

"What about loner? Did you not understand?"

"Whatever, Zay."

"Just hurry up an hour goes by fast sis."

"Yeah, yeah." I mumble between bites of food.

"And don't wear your strings." He hollers as he leaves the kitchen.

. . .

Xavier pulls into beach parking for Jacksonville, Florida. We get out, and I grab my bag, towel, and umbrella. We make our way towards the wooden pathway that will lead us down to the beach.

"Is it always this hot?" I pant.

"Midwesterners." Xaiver shakes his head.

"Shut up, I like our weather."

"Yeah, yeah." Xavier starts to jog, "C'mon you'll be cooler once we reach the water."

"Xavier, wait, this umbrella is heavy!"

I run after him, trying my best to keep up. He leads us a ways down the beach, and I stop to take off my sandals only to put them back on immediately when I feel the grains of sand burning holes into my feet.

When I finally catch up to Xavier again, he is kissing a blonde haired girl. Way too sloppily for my taste. I can't help but grimace at them as I try not to gag. There's a whole group of teenagers, some play volleyball, some dance while arguing over the choice of music, and others are drinking what I know is not soda. I clear my throat, and my brother and his girlfriend pull apart.

"Thanks for leaving me back there, big bro." I give him a forced smile.

"Sorry bout that, sis."

"Omg, this is your sister." The blonde girl squeals as she comes up to me and wraps me in a hug.