Summers End

Chapter 26

REINA

I lazily take clothes from my dresser and carry them over to my bed where my suitcase sits open. I smile, biting my lip as I think back to the events of last night. I can feel the way Zenith's hands had gently caressed all along my skin as I daydream, and the soft kisses he had left on my neck and collarbone have me shivering as I think about it. I sigh and try to concentrate on folding my clothes.

There is a knock at my door, and Ashley comes in. I smile at her. she smiles back, but it quickly turns into a frown when her eyes go to my open suitcase.

"You're packing?" She comes and sits on my bed and looks up at me.

"Looks like it." I sigh, laughing lightly.

"But it's not fair!" Ashley whines, "that dumb coma took the rest of your summer!"

I genuinely laugh now.

"Yeah, I know, and it sucks."

I sit my last folded article of clothing on one of the piles I have made on my bed.

"Can't you just stay one more week, at least?"

I shake my head.

"I start school next week. Senior year!" I sarcastically wave my hands in the air.

"And my mom has to get back to work." I sigh. "We are leaving tomorrow afternoon."

Ashley groans. I can't help but smile at her. I also feel a pang of guilt for judging her so quickly when we first met. I really thought she was just another one of Xavier's hookup girls. But she is so much more than that. We became besties just like she said we would. I continue to smile at her, and she gives me a weird look.

"What?!" She raises her eyebrows at me.

"Nothing." I laugh.

"Then why are you smiling like that, hm?" She tilts her head.

"Because you're my best friend."

She makes a smiling pouty face at me.

"And also..." I hesitate.

"And also... what?" Ashley repeats.

"Last night, Zenith came to apologize."

Her eyes widen.

"Are you official again?!"

I nod my head yes, and she squeals while getting up to hug me tightly.

"And we kind of um..."

Ashley pulls away to look at me. I look sheepishly at her, not able to meet her widening eyes. Then she gasps.

"No, you F-ing didn't! Reina!"

I hide my face in my hands, suddenly feeling shy.

"When? How? What happened?!"

Ashley pries my hands from my face, so I have to look at her.

"When he climbed up my balcony last night."

Ashley beams. "Ugh, that's so romantic!"

"We started kissing after saying lines from Romeo and Juliette, and the next thing I knew, he was walking me backward into my room, and then it just happened!"

"Your life is literally a movie." She whines.

I laugh, scratching the back of my neck and blurt out. "And then after that, he apologized," I mumble, "then it happened again."

Her eyes widen a third time.

"TWICE IN ONE NIGHT!" She yells.

"Shh," I giggle, "Ashley, shush!'