G'Dayam

Chapter 14

REINA

"Try on the blue one again."

"Mom, come on. I've put it on three times now."

My mom and I FaceTime as I try to choose which dress I want to wear for mine and Zenith's official date. Even though we've already had at least three dates. But to Zenith, those were not official because they weren't planned out they just sort of happened.

I'm so nervous, he will not tell me anything that we are going to do today. Anytime I ask, he says that it is a surprise and will not tell me anything further, no matter how much I whined. He thought my whining was cute. How annoying is that?

"I really liked the white one," I say, "but since I don't know what he has planned, it's probably best not to do white."

"Well, how do you even know it's smart to wear a dress if you don't know what you're doing?"

"I'm bringing shorts and a top just in case."

"Well, hell, if you're doing that, just wear the white then."

"I'm kinda leaning towards the blue one now."

My mom laughs.

"Which ever baby girl I know you will look beautiful."

I grab my phone and sit down on my bed.

"Uh oh, I know that look." My mom says, "What's on your mind."

I sigh.

"I think something is going on with Zenith.'

"How do you mean?"

"I know he is keeping things from me, things that happened in his past that had to do with his family and why he lives with John and Cathy now."

"Have you asked him about it?"

"Well, his past doesn't matter to me. I mean, we all have one. What matters to me is that whatever happened seems to still be bothering him. I just want him to be okay, you know?"

My mom gives me a loving smile.

"I know, baby girl, we all want those that we love to be happy."

I nod.

"The best thing you can do for him right now is just to be there. When he is ready, he'll open up to you."

"Yeah, you're right," I smile, "thanks, momma. I miss you."

"I miss you too, baby girl. Now make sure you have fun on this date tonight, but not too much fun, you hear me?"

She raises her eyebrow, and I laugh.

"I hear you, momma."

"Okay then, bye, baby girl."

"Bye, momma."

I click off the call and then go back to choosing a dress. I put the light blue spaghetti strapped mini dress back on. I like how it hugs my waist and is loose in the skirt. The ruched neckline makes my chest look really nice. I smile at myself. This is the one.

I take off the dress and start on my makeup. I decide on a clean girl makeup look. Simple but beautiful. After I am done, I work on my hair. I put my curls in a ponytail at the top of my head and let out some strands of curls in the front to help frame my face.

I put the blue dress back on being careful not to mess up my hair and makeup. I stand in front of my mirror, admiring my work. I can't decide on heels or my white sneakers, so I go downstairs looking for Xavier.

I find him in the kitchen making some kind of concoction in the blender.

"Which shoes with this dress?"

He looks at me.

"Take a step back."

I do as he says.

"Okay, now put the shoes on the ground and stand sideways."

I put the shoes down and stand sideways. Xavier's eyebrows knit together as he thinks about it.

"Ye I got no idea." He shrugs.

"Xavier, seriously!"

He laughs.

"The sneakers aight."

"Thank you." I roll my eyes.

The doorbell sounds. Xavier and I exchange a look.

"Your boyfriend early?"

I go to answer the front door. Zenith shouldn't be here yet, so I wonder what's happened. I open the door.

"Jacob?"

"G'dayam..." His mouth gaps open, and his eyes roam all over me.

"Jacob!" I yell a little, trying to get him to look at my eyes, not all over me.

He comes back into focus.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came by because I need to tell you something, it's really important." He is almost whispering.

Before I can reply, Xavier comes up behind me.

"Ay, what's good." He daps up Jacob. "Did we have plans today?" He asks.

"No, I just came by to see Reina."

"Oh?" Xavier looks between the two of us.

"He said he has something really important to tell me."

"I bet he does," Xavier laughs, "better make it quick she leaves for her date soon."

"Date?" Jacob points the question towards me.

"I am going out on my first official date," I swallow, "with my boyfriend."

"Boyfriend?" His face falls a little.

"Ye that guy Zenith who beat your ass at last man standing." Xavier laughs.

"Oh, him." Jacob laughs along with Xavier, but to me, it sounds forced.

I clear my throat and glare at Xavier.

"Anyways, sorry, what did you need to tell me, Jacob?"

He looks at me seriously and is about to speak, but then his face softens, and he shakes his head.

"I just wanted to invite you to the beach today, but since you're busy, maybe another time."

He gives me a half smile.

"Well, thank you, and yeah, another time."

I smile, then add.

"We should all get together, right Zay?"

"Ye for sure, just let us know before you show up."

"Will do." Jacob stands there awkwardly now.

"I have to go finish getting ready, but it was good seeing you, Jacob."

"Yeah, see ya, mate."

. . .

Back in my room, I can't help but wonder what Jacob really was going to tell me and why he decided not to. Maybe it was because Xavier was standing there, or maybe he was about to ask me out but decided not to because he found out I have a boyfriend. But that doesn't make sense because he said he needed to tell me something, not ask me something. I sigh. I do feel bad for the look he got after finding out I have a boyfriend now. I suspected that he liked me, I just didn't think he still would after I friend zoned him so much. Oh well, it is what it is.

A/N
I'm trying to get the next chapters out as soon as I can! I hope you're enjoying My Summer Love! X