Falling Slowly Pt. 1

Chapter 15

REINA

My dad has been taking pictures after pictures of me since he got home. Apparently, my mom told him to document everything about her baby's first date.

Now he is recording me like I'm walking the red carpet.

"Dad, how much longer are you going to do this? Zenith is going to be here any minute now!"

"And I'll be getting pictures and videos of him too."

"Dad." I groan as the doorbell rings.

"I got it." Xavier says.

Xavier opens the front door, ushering Zenith inside.

I swallow hard when I see him. He wears white vans, black jeans, and a short sleeve button-down navy blue shirt. The top two buttons he left undone, which makes him look all the more attractive.

We both stare at each other as he walks up to me, taking my hands in his.

"I'm so nervous." I giggle.

"Me too." He laughs.

"Okay, look over here and say first date!"

I roll my eyes, and Zenith smirks at me. We turn towards my dad. Zenith places his hand on my waist. We smile for the camera and mumble.

"First date!"

My dad smiles.

"Okay, that was good now. Let's get-"

"Old man, would you let these two kids get going already damn." Xavier says.

"Boy, talk to me like that again. I'll still whoop yo ass."

"Oh, aight then, cmon, let's go, old man."

Xavier starts shadow boxing. Our dad just casually walks up to him and slaps him on the back of the head.

"I'ma call ma an tell her you beating up on her baby son." Xavier rubs the back of his head.

Our dad scoffs.

"You damn near a grown man, you still crying to your momma."

Zenith laughs, and I shake my head.

"Bye, see you at midnight!"

I grab Zenith's hand and start to head out before my dad can stop us.

"Be safe now! And no later than midnight, Reina!"

My dad yells after us as I close the door.

We make our way to Zenith's jeep. The roof is on it today. He opens my door for me and then walks over to his side, getting in the driver's seat.

He reaches over and buckles me in.

"Well, thank you." I smile at him

"You're very welcome." He gives me a half smile back then fastens his own seat belt.

"Soo," I look at him, "now can I know where we are going?"

"Yes," he says, "but first."

He reaches into the back and grabs a blindfold.

"Put this on."

"But you said I can know now!"

He laughs.

"And you will know as soon as we get there."

He smirks, and I roll my eyes, then put the blindfold on.

. . .

"Okay, careful now, don't let go of my hands."

Zenith leads me to I don't even know where, but I'm guessing it is a park because I can hear the crunching of grass beneath my shoes. I stumble a little, and he catches me.