Night Thoughts

Chapter 7

*trigger warning*

ZENITH

. . .

"I know you're in here, boy, you can't hide from me."

I lay under my bed with my hand over my mouth, trying to be as quiet as possible.

"You're nothing but trash. You hear me, boy?"

The person's feet come closer to my bed.

"I should have beaten you outta your ma when she was pregnant with your worthless ass."

I accidentally let out a whimper and then quickly covered my mouth with both hands, trying to stifle my jagged breathing.

There is nothing but silence in the room for a moment. And then my bed is flipped over harshly. I scream as my father grabs me up off the floor by my neck. He holds me, squeezing my neck tightly, blocking the air from escaping my lungs. I claw at his hand, but his grip only gets tighter. I look into his eyes, and all I see are empty dark ones staring back at me as my father snarls gripping my throat tighter.

. . .

I bolt upright in my bed, breathing heavily. I'm drenched in sweat, and it takes me a moment to remember where I am. You're safe at John and Cathy's, I tell myself. You're safe. I take deep breaths and then let them out slowly, trying to calm my beating heart. I grab my phone from the nightstand and check the time. It's four in the morning. I don't think I'll be able to fall back asleep after that nightmare, so I decide to go sit at the beach behind my house. I put on some sweats and a hoodie, shove my phone in my pocket, and then head for my bedroom door. I quietly open it. The house is dead silent, so if I'm not careful, I'll wake John or Cathy, or both. I sneak towards the stairs and take them two at a time. I silence the alarm on the wall and then head out the back door. I stop to look up at Reina's balcony. Part of me was hoping to see her standing up there again. I feel really bad about what happened tonight. I know her dad had every right to be upset. He was worried about her, and that's understandable. But the look on her face when her dad was yelling at her made my heartache. I sigh and continue on to the beach. When I get to my usual spot, I make a small fire like I always do.

I listen as the waves wash in and out to shore. The ocean is my calm. It was what made me the most happy until I met Reina. How is she doing this to me? She has taken over my every thought. And all I ever want to do anymore is be where she is. It doesn't matter what we are doing I just want to be near her. It honestly scares me as much as it thrills me. What if our relationship only lasts throughout the summer? Or what if she finds out what I did? Her and I feel too good to be true. I don't want to be having these negative thoughts, but I can't help feeling like I'm going to end up losing her. And I can't lose her. I won't.

"Bad dream?"

I turn my head around to see John standing behind me. I nod my head yes to his question. He comes around placing his lawn chair up beside where I'm sitting in the sand. We both sit in silence for a moment, watching the small flames of my fire flicker.

"You want to talk about it?"

I shake my head no.

"Zenith-"

"I just don't want to, okay?"

John nods.

"But if you are having any trouble again, just say so, and I'll call Dr. Adams."

"I'm fine, John."

"You know Cathy and I just want what's best for you, right son?"

I sit there in silence for a moment.

"I know you do, and thank you. But really, I'm fine. I think it was just triggered from events of tonight."

"Events? What events?"

I relay to John how I met Reina leaving out a few minor details if you know what I mean. I told him how we were out, and her phone died along with mine, and I didn't have a car charger. I told him everything that happened between her and her dad and even what her dad said to me.

I watched as John's face contorted as he was deep in thought.

"So you really like this girl, huh?" He finally says.

"I really do. A lot."

"Alright then," he leans his elbows on his knees, "What are you going to do about it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you said her daddy grounded her and won't let her see you."

I nod.

"So what are you going to do about it?"

"I'm not sure where you are going with this, John."

"Oh boy," John sighs, rubbing his head. "You made a bad first impression, son. So what you need to do is go over there and apologize to the girl's father."

"How am I supposed to do that if he doesn't want me around?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Dear Lord, give me strength." John rolls his eyes at the sky.

"You need to apologize and ask her father for permission to date her. I know that probably sounds crazy to you, but it is the old-fashioned way of doing things, son."

"And you're sure this will work?"

"Well, I'd say there's about a seventy-five percent chance. But the odds are in your favor." He shrugs.

"So there's a twenty-five percent chance I'll get a no?"

"That sounds about right."

We both laugh, and I can't help but shake my head at the old man.

"This idea of yours had better work."

"Oh, it will. Now come on now, help me up."

I stand and help him out of his lawn chair. He stops and looks at me.

"You're a good kid, you hear me?"

I can tell his eyes are beginning to water.

"I hear you."

"Good." He pats my shoulder. "Good."

"Now fold up my lawn chair and get back in the house you need sleep. I got a new car from a big client that needs fixing tomorrow, and they requested you."

"It's really hard being your best employee."

"And ever so humble as always." John waves a hand at me as he heads towards the house.

I smirk as I grab the lawn chair and fold it up, tucking it under my arm.

A/N
This chapter pulled on my heartstrings so much 🥹