Just Friends

Chapter 10

JACOB

"Are you delusional or something? Reina clearly isn't interested in you. She was all over that guy at the skate park who beat you at last man standing."

Margo has been annoying the hell out of me for the past ten minutes. She keeps following me around the surf shop, trying to talk me back into a relationship with her. After telling her no repeatedly now she has switched to complaining about Reina.

"He didn't beat me at last man standing."

"Oh really? Because I'm pretty sure you used an illegal move just because he was getting all the attention of your wanna be girlfriend."

"Jealousy looks so ugly on you, Margo."

I shake my head at her disapprovingly, and after the look she gives me, I wish I had just kept my mouth shut.

"She's only going to break your heart."

"Pretty sure that is your department, Margo."

I see a moment of hurt in her eyes.

"Are you really going to never forgive me for that."

"For that?" I raise my eyebrow, "By that, do you mean how you cheated on me? Because that's hard to forget." I can't help but laugh.

I finish arranging the shelves and then walk back towards the counter of the surf shop. Margo follows me.

"It was a mistake, Jacob." She whispers, leaning over the counter once I'm behind it.

"I know, Margo, you were drunk, and things got out of hand, okay? I get it. But that does not change the fact that it happened. I just," I sigh, pinching my eyebrows together with my fingers.

"I can't do us again. We're over. For good."

She stares at me for a moment.

"I don't give up easily, Jacob, can't you see I've been trying to be better for you?"

Her eyes are pleading with me, but I feel nothing for her in that way anymore.

I sigh.

"Look, Margo, the only person you need to be better for is yourself."

We stare at each other for a moment, and then she looks away, running a hand through her rainbow colored hair.

"Can we at least be friends?" She asks her eyes, pleading with me again.

She looks so desperate right now, and even though I know she doesn't deserve my sympathy, I agree to being friends.
That brings a small smile to her face.

"So you and Reina..."

"Margo." I groan.

"Hey, we're friends now, so we can talk about these things, right?"

This girl.

"There is no me and Reina as of right now."

"So you're still going to try?"

"Can't say yes or no right now." I shrug.

"Well, I think the guy she's into went to my high school."

"You knew him?"

"Well, no, not really. He was a loner and got bullied a lot. If he is who I think he is, then he got expelled or something his junior year."

"Expelled?"

"Yeah, I think he almost killed someone or something like that." She shrugs as though attempted murder is no big deal.