About Time

Chapter 13

ZENITH

"If I have to choose, then I choose green because it will always remind me of you."

I smile to myself. Reina has been on my mind like crazy today. I have almost slipped up twice while trying to repair these cars. John can tell my mind is else where because he has been on my ass all day checking up on me. I can't help my thoughts are occupied.

I felt so much like a protector last night when Reina fell asleep in my arms. She tried so hard to stay awake. It was cute when she started slurring her words until eventually falling into a deep sleep.

I love the fact that she is so comfortable with me. The way she trusts me to keep her safe makes me feel so good. Like a man. I would do anything for her, which is why I need to be honest with her about a few things. One of them being that my nightmares are back. They have been on and off for a while, but now I can't close my eyes without seeing my dad. Seeing his lifeless body. Knowing what I did. There is so much she doesn't know, so much I'm afraid to tell her. But I know that I have to.

"Zenith!"

John yells my name. I stick my head out from beneath the hood of the car I'm working on.

"Yeah?!"

"Someone needs their battery replaced out front."

"Can't Billy do it?"

"Billy is out sick today. And besides, it'll only take 15 minutes if you can keep yourself from daydreaming."

I shake my head.

"What kind of car?"

"A silver Honda accord sedan, 02 the girl said."

I get a battery and then make my way out front. I spot the car. There's a girl with rainbow colored hair in the driver's seat. She gets out when she sees me.

"They got models replacing batteries now?" Her eyes look me up and down.

Great, just what I need. I get up to the hood of the car and release the latch opening the hood. The sooner I get this battery in, the better.

The girl stands next to me.

"How long have you been fixing cars?"

"Awhile." I answer, keeping my focus on the battery.

"You must be really good at it then."

I stay silent and continue disconnecting the old battery.

"You got a name?" She asks.

Why won't she just leave me alone.

"You're a man of few words, huh?"

"Just trying to get your battery in so you can be on your way, I'm sure you're very busy."

"You're right. I am, I have a date later with a guy I used to go to high school with."

I sigh.

"His name is Dylan, Dylan Matthews."

I freeze. A flood of memories from high school come flashing through my mind.
The girl continues talking on and on, but I've zoned her out.

I finish with her battery.

"It's all set. You should be able to start it now."

She goes and tries the key. It starts on the first try.

"Thanks," she bites her bottom lip, "if my date doesn't work out, I'll have to come back here and find you."

"I have a girlfriend." Is all I say.