Chapter 3 - Our Mate

Seth

The static from the office phone piercing my ears, causing a subtle ache behind my forehead. I rub my fingers over the corners of my eyes, listening to men who don't matter, ramble on about problems that aren't even on my radar of importance.

"The trades bargain is unfair, and stupid." John says, his voice dragging through his shitty phone causing mine to miss some syllables.

"That's bullshit, I've agreed to every demand you have had. And despite your outrageous demands, I have complied and been more than fair for what I'm asking for in return." Marven practically says in all one breath.

"Fair my as..."

"ENOUGH" my voice radiates the room, shaking the paintings hanging on the walls. "Just shut it."

Silence fills the room, the phones going quite and my finger returning to the corners of my eyes. Rubbing until the ache begins to subside.

"Gentlemen, we have bigger problems to deal with. Your petty trade squabbles are not our problem, nor even near a concern." Luther says, sitting in the chair adjacent my desk. Before the men on the line can retort, Luther holds down the receiver button. Ending the call.

"I still don't understand why we tolerate them" Daniel says, grinning. "I mean, we don't have to. We could cut them loose, shed the unwanted waste."

"I'm thinking about it" is all I say, removing my self from my chair, moving towards the bar cart in the far-left corner of my office.

I feel their eyes following me.

"You want one or something?" I growl out. My palm wrapping around the crystal bottle and pouring the amber liquid into the matching glass.

"I wouldn't say no to a cold one" Daniel pipes up.

"You want that cheap garbage, you go get it yourself." I pour out another glass, picking them up and making my way back to where their seated. Daniel looks my way, scoffing when I hand the extra glass to Luther.

A nod is his only acknowledgement of the drink as he takes it from my hands.

"Is everything set for tonight?" I ask taking a sip of my drink. Leaning up against the front of my desk, sharing my attention between the two. Luther's the first to speak up.

"Yes, all hunters are organized and prepared. They have their posts and sectors. We just to show up and the hunt begins."

"God, I hope this is it." Daniel says leaning forward, bracing his head in his hands.

These times have been especially hard on him. His pack. The rouges are getting tougher, more feral.

Theres something going on. With every rouge we've encountered in the last few months, they've been harder to kill. Stronger even. They've killed dozens of our people, from each of our packs and many others.

Daniels father being the first. He came into the Alpha role sooner than expected, after his father was killed. Were all relatively new to this life. I only became Alpha of the Black Pine Moon Pack less than 2 years ago.

My father and mother leaving to travel.

Luther ascended the role of Alpha around the same time. His father simply gave over the role when he found out his wife was pregnant again. Luther has 3 siblings as is and the former Alpha of the Blue Blood Moon Pack wanted to spend as much time with his mate as he could.

God, a mate. I still can't decide weather it's a dream or nightmare. I've seen packs crumble, people commit suicide over loosing their mate. How someone could infect another so deeply that they refuse to live without them is beyond me.