Chapter 8 - Fear

Magnolia

The fields are green and blue and yellow. The colours smearing and swirling as I run past them. Through them. Over them.

I close my eyes, breathing the cool breeze in.

I reach out my hands, running my fingers through the tall yellow grass. Its scratchy and soft at the same time. The feeling slowly becoming one of my favourites.

I hear footsteps approaching me from behind. But instead of the familiar feel of fear and dread, relief washes over me.

My senses tingling with smells so sweet, smoky, and soothing. I turn my head, my smile so bright my cheeks ache. I start running, leaping into strong arms wrapped in black silk rolled up to the elbow.

They surround me, holding me tightly to their strong body.

The image starts to pull away as I lean back from the embrace. My heart pumping twice as hard and my skin heating as I see whose holding me so tenderly.

My eyes crack open, vision slightly blurry as they adjust. The room dark and the sky fading into a midnight blue. I stretch my arms above my head holding my breath and feeling my bones ache and shake with relief.

It's not until I breath normally that I get a whiff of the amazing smell coming from down the hall. Steak and garlic wafting into my nose, lighting up my senses and making my stomach grumble.

I pull the soft checkered blanket back, moving my feet to the soft, plush carpet that covers the floor. My skin prickles as the warmth of the blanket slides away.

I'm already moving through the house towards that delicious aroma. Like a cartoon following the warm sent of a fresh pie.

Voices and clinking dishes sound from the kitchen just around the corner. I peek my head in, holding myself up on the door frame.

Standing at the stove is Luther, cooking again. His back to me, but his senses most likely picking up on my presence like earlier.

Sitting against the counter, typing away at his phone is Seth. His hulking frame facing away from me, but not so much that I can't see the scowl printed on his face.

Movement to my right catches my eyes.

Pacing from counter to table is Daniel, bringing plates and cutlery along with him. He's setting the table. I've never seen anyone else set the table.

Come to think of it, I hadn't even seen anyone else cook in so long. Well until this morning. I've always done these things.

Is it wrong that I don't like how he placed the forks?

I keep that to my self. I don't think they'd hurt me if I said something, but one can never be too sure.

The idea that they might hurt me hits me like a tidal wave knocking me back. Now that I'm getting a good look at them. Not holding my hands or looking at me with those eyes. It's clear these men could easily hurt me. Kill me if they wanted to.

I shake at the thought. It feels wrong, but so much of my life has felt wrong I don't know what to think. I slowly back away from the entrance. Holding my breath as I watch their backs.

I don't want to start anything. I don't want to be afraid. I don't want them to see me like this.

Just then Seth growls, causing my blood to go cold. My body shuts down and I freeze. He slams his phone down on the counter turning. Holding the edges of the sink, his knuckles go white as paper.