Chapter 18 - Next Steps

Seth

Magnolia sits across from us, fidgeting under the table. Her tiny hands hidden under the mahogany wood but the tensing of her shoulders and the slight movement in her arms tells me she's nervous.

The silence surrounding us almost painful. After telling her about our plan to merge the packs, and how she would need to meet the betas and gammas soon, she's fallen into an unsettling quiet.

My leg bobbing up and down, the force of it slightly jostling the table.

We're trying to give her a moment to prosses. We're asking a lot of her. And leaving out the heavier details didn't have the effect we had hoped for.

The rouges are returning, attacking. Our packs vulnerable with all of us away and occupied. The betas can only do so much in our absence.

Stuff like that.

When we told her we would have to return to our respective packs, her face fell. A small 'oh' the only thing she said.

She hasn't spoken since.

"Please say something baby." Daniel says, his words breathy and strained.

She slowly looks up at us through her lashes. A look that sets my blood to boil and my stomach to twist. One any man would fall to his knees too.

If the situation was different, nothing would have stopped me from claiming her. My knuckles turn white from how hard I'm holding myself back, my knee smacks against the underside of the table.

It's getting harder and harder every second we spend with her, and the slight pout of her lips isn't helping.

'Not the time Seth' Tank grumbles, even though I know what he's thinking.

'Shut it' I pinch my eyes close and focus on my breathing. My dick aching under the fabric of my jeans.

"I..." everything evaporates. My thoughts, feelings, and my breath. "I don't know w-what to say. I'm sorry." Her voice cracks on the last symbol, my chest cracking with it.

"Its okay sweetheart, this is a lot to take in" Luther says, scootching around the crescent moon shaped booth to sit right next to her. Pulling her into his side, she leans her small head in the crook of his arm.

I can hear her heart slow to a steady beat as she snuggles closer. My breathing evening out to match.

She starts talking again after a few minutes, her tone gentle and light.

"I want to do it. I just don't k-know how." She huddles closer to Luther, sharing her attention between me and Daniel still sitting across from her. "I'm not good... with people." Her fingers knitting together over and over again.

"We won't do anything until you're comfortable." Daniel states. Though this is more urgent than were letting on, there's nothing in this world that would make us push her out of her comfort zone.

We still know so little about her past. What she's been through. We can guess for the most part, and every time I think about it, my lungs seize and my fists almost crack from how hard I squeeze.

"Thank you, but I'm okay. Can we maybe talk more about it later?" She looks up to Luther, her round puppy dog eyes shining brightly. The cutest part is she doesn't even realize she's doing it. My dick however is very... aware. "I just want to process it a bit before we plan anything."

"Of course, beautiful." Luther leans down, kissing the tip of her nose then her lips. The ache in my jeans only growing.

Fuck, do I like watching?