Chapter 4 - Saved

Magnolia

I shield my eyes, dirt and wood debris flying everywhere. My instincts tell me to stay still, don't move. Keep your head down, ears folded, eyes averted. What ever it is, could kill me.

The idea doesn't fear as much as I thought it would. As much as it should.

It feels like forever before I open my eyes. I don't look up right away, working my eyes along the ground until I see paws.

Pure black paws with nails that could shred my skull, stand just feet from my face. I sniffle, a small whimper escaping my throat. Its not until I lift my head do I see the other two wolves at it sides. Looking at me.

Lana comes to the front, amazed and afraid of what she sees. We've never been around other wolves. I never even knew they could get that big. These ones were particularly massive, there fur thick, and their legs strong and tall. They tower over my curled form.

The one with a pure black coat stare me down. His blood red eyes piercing mine. Not moving, barely breathing. Its jaw clenched and its nails digging into the dirt.

Intimated and afraid I lower my head until I'm as far into the dirt as I can get. I don't know how to show I'm not a threat. To show I won't do anything, to submit. But this is all I can manage.

But he doesn't move. He doesn't lunge or attack or even make a sound. I take this opportunity to take a look at the others, still laying on the ground with my head just barely raised.

There all looking at me, like... like they know me. Like they have found me. Not by accident, but like they've always been looking. The sensation of warmth rushes down my body all the way to my toes. Slightly easing my fear.

I don't see anger, or disgust in their eyes. That's new.

'I like em' Lana breathes, her fear slowly slipping away.

'Hush now, they haven't hurt us, but that doesn't mean they won't.' I say back, pushing her back to quite her panting. Seams she's more into them than she's letting on.

OH god, what if there like me? What if they can help me?

I rise to me feet, carful not to move too fast. They just stand there watching me. My muscle ache from the position, the collar making its presence known once again.

I wince, and the wolves move. Slowly they approach, sitting down in front of me when a whimper escapes me. The fear not completely gone.

I take my time, eyeing them all. Watching, waiting.

They don't move, make a sound, or look away. The one closeted to me, with a chocolate brown coat and bright hazel eyes, lowers his head. His gaze never leaving me.

'Go to him', Lana says. 'Introduce us.'

'How?' I ask, my mind drawing a blank. I've never done this, I don't know how.

'Maybe just move towards them, I wanna... smell them'.

'Why' A confused look crossing my face. The wolves notice, but they still don't move.

'I don't know, It's a feeling.' Lana tells me, the instinct to get closer suddenly very prominent. The feeling not singled to one wolf.

I move forward. Lowering my head so I'm aiming for his neck. I push my nose into his fur, and he lets me. His breathing even and steady. I breath in, my senses being filled with the smell of a campfire. The smell intoxicating.

I've never loved a smell more. I pull back, catching his eyes and ducking my head. If I were human right now, the blush on my cheeks would be obvious.