23

"I'm sorry." Jack says, breaking the silence in the car on the way back to Lisa's house. Elyssa has calmed down now.
"See, this is what I didn't want." She almost laughs. Jack stays quiet, knowing she wants to say more. "I just, I don't want you to feel bad for me. Like that's dumb." Tears brim her eyes as she stares at the road.
"I'm sorry." He apologizes.
"Jack!" She laughs, telling him to stop apologizing.
"Ok!" He smiles. "I can't help but feel... guilty. Like my parents have been married my entire life, we've always had a house, and all the things we've needed. And then you grew up like this and you lived with him and went through all that shit and I wish you didn't." He gets serious again.
"It's not your fault. It's not anyone's fault. It's just life. And it's over and it's better now." Elyssa reaches a hand to hold his. He brings their interlocked hands up, kissing her knuckles, making her smile as blush grows on her cheeks.
"Can we just stop talking about it for now?" Elyssa asks.
"Yeah. Let's just have a good Christmas." Jack agrees, excited to spend the holiday with his family.

momma
are you otw home?
EC
yeah. what's up?
momma
:)
EC
Wtf does that mean???

"My mom just left me on read." Elyssa laughs, reading Jack the conversation.
"Well, it's a good thing we're here." He turns into the driveway of Lisa's house. Elyssa and Jack both enter the house, taking off their coats and shoes.
"Mom what the fuck were those texts?" Elyssa yells through the house, not knowing where her mom is. "Ahhhh!!!" She cheers once she sees Ellen, Jim, and Luke. Elyssa bounces up and down as she moves to hug Ellen first.
"What the fuck?" Jack questions the screaming, having yet to see his family. Once he sees them, a smile is plastered on his face, hugging his parents and brother.
"Do you like your surprise?" Lisa asks her daughter and Jack.
"100%, thank you." Elyssa smiles, going to hug her mom.
"How was it at your dads?" Lisa asks quietly as everyone else was busy catching up. Elyssa rolls her eyes, shaking her head.
"It's over. I'm accepting it." She says, not getting into detail to avoid bringing up those emotions again.
"Where's quinny?" Jack asks.
"With Taylor." Luke sing songs, making fun of his oldest brother who's not there to defend himself. Jack laughs with Luke, nudging his arm.
"This is the first time he's meeting her family. They're getting pretty serious." Ellen says matter of factly.
"Good for him." Elyssa says genuinely. "Your turn Lukey." She teases. He flips her off in response.

After a few hours, they ate dinner and are lounging around the living room, talking.
"Lyss, you know what we haven't done in a while?" Teddy begins.
"Mhm?" She hums, furrowing her eyebrows.
"Sledding." He tells her.
"Oh my gosh! We have to go!" She squeals.
"It's dark out." Luke gestures outside.
"You're telling me you've never played hockey outside in the dark?" Elyssa asks sarcastically.
"Yeah. We used to go sledding every Christmas Eve." Teddy says.
"Sometimes we'd be out till like 2 am." Elyssa laughs. "Come on, please?" She asks the two Hughes brothers.
"Let's go get dressed." Jack stands up, making Elyssa smile.

elyssahughes posted a story

jackhughes posted a story