thirty seven

"what are you gonna do to the pervert from earlier? Kill him?" Kurama asked

Naruko was looking out her window, spying for any crows. So far there were none. "No, Kakashi or Sasuke will deal with him"

"How do you know? The Uchiha would do anything for you that's for sure but what about Kakashi?"

"I'll make him think it's his idea. I doubt Kakashi-sensei would kill him, maybe put him under mental torture instead. Psychological punishment is much more effective you know" Naruko twirled a strand of her hair between her finger, breathing in the cool air.

As soon as she said this, there was a knock on the door. She smiled in amusement, already knowing who it was, and went to open it. There stood the tall Jounin Kakashi, holding a plastic bag full of vegetables. "Kakashi-sensei, what a surprise" she said, feigning surprise. "I couldn't stop thinking about you so I decided to see you" he explained. Naruko blushed and raised a brow. Kakashi caught the implications in his words so he stammered out "I meant worrying! I couldn't stop worrying about you because of what happened at the restaurant so I decided to drop by and, see how you are"

Naruko stepped aside and allowed her sensei entry to her small apartment. "I have to admit, I'm still a little shaken. That's never happened to me before" Naruko said sadly. Kakashi placed the plastic bag on the table and looked at Naruko, concerned for her.

He lifted a hand and placed it on her head. "you didn't deserve to be treated like that"

"It's fine sensei, I've been through worse. I've been called a monster, freak, demon, and  the occasional bitch. I shouldn't be surprised if they'd want to physically hurt me too"

Kakashi released a low growl when he saw tears gathering in the corner of her eyes, she looked so small and fragile to him. How could anyone hurt Naruko? He just couldn't understand the villagers and their belief. "They can't separate the monster from the jailer" he thought angrily.

He heard soft sniffles and felt Naruko shaking. She was crying, again. "Naruko, come here" he wasn't good at comforting people but he didn't want to just leave Naruko crying alone. He pulled her to his embrace and held her tight, feeling her stiffen against him. "Sensei?"

"Shh, it's alright, you'll be alright" he said soothingly

Naruko's eyes widened and she felt her heart do something unknown to her. He never did this to her in her past life as Naruto. Slowly, she raised her arms and wrapped them around Kakashi's waist, she felt.... comforted, and safe.

"I like him better than the Uchiha"

"Shut up"

"What?"

"Sorry, it was my idiot fox friend. He said he likes you"

Kakashi chuckled "Well I'm glad, I suppose"

"Kakashi-sensei, can you stay here for a while? I don't want to be alone again. I'll cook dinner and you can help" she looked up at him with shining, hopeful eyes. How could he say no?

"Sure thing Naru" he said

"It's pathetic isn't it? I'm a kunoichi and yet I--"

"It's not pathetic Naruko" Kakashi cut her off. "You're not pathetic"

*

Hours later, it was time for Kakashi to leave. The sun had set and the moon risen, Naruko was preparing her pajamas. "Thank you for keeping me company Kakashi-sensei" she said gratefully as she pulled down her hair ties and prepared her bed.

Kakashi stood by the door, hesitant to leave her yet he knew he must. He still has some business to settle with a certain someone after all.

"Good night Naruko" he said.