pilot.

If someone were to describe McKinley High mornings they'd call it neverending chaos. The sound of footsteps, locker doors, and loud chatter made it extremely challenging to focus on anything else. There was no such thing as a moment of peace in these overwhelming hallways.

Amidst the mayhem, Sanique Banks stood in front of her locker with a blank look on her face attempting to recall her combination, but she could not get the buzzing of the fluorescent lights above her out of her head.

As the hallway slowly cleared out and students scattered to their respective classes, something hitting her in the temple knocked her out of her trance. She looked to her left only to see Quinn Fabray peeking at her from behind her locker door.

The blonde began to take her books out, "Sorry, I thought someone would need to break you out of your reverie. Which straight girl are you daydreaming about today?"

Sanique never really was a fan of the Fabray, but she made a point to always be nice to everybody (with the exception of JBI). Although Quinn didn't really seem to like her, making it a routine to throw out unexpected jabs about her sexuality. Despite the cheerleader's weird unrequited dislike towards Sanique, the dark haired girl found her intriguing. Quinn appeared out of nowhere in freshman year, and she suddenly became the McKinley High's resident HBIC.

Successfully biting her tongue, Sanique ignored her and turned back to her locker. As Sanique put her fingers back on her lock, trying to see if she had built any muscle memory, Quinn cleared her throat and spoke again, "Your locker combination's written on your hand."

Sanique looked down at her palm, and to her surprise she saw the digits of her code in her near indecipherable handwriting. Oh yeah. "Thanks Quinn."

Startled at her kindness, the cheerleader struggled to find a reply to her expression of gratitude. She decided to settle upon disrespect. "Your handwriting is atrocious by the way. It was hard enough for me to realize you weren't writing in Morse code." Shit. That came out really awkward.

Sanique raised an eyebrow at the uncalled for insult and Quinn mirrored her expression.  As a small smile crept upon Sanique's face, Finn Hudson came up behind his girlfriend and poked her in the hip, effectively ending their staring contest.

"Finn!" she shrieked, seemingly amused by his boyish antics.

"Hey Quinn," Finn greeted wearing his signature half-smirk, "Hi Sanique. I saw you at your track practice earlier. You're really fast."

The football team, track team and Cheerios for some odd reason all practiced at the same time. Sanique hated this, although she couldn't lie that seeing Finn getting bodied by Azimio on every play really got her adrenaline pumping.

Before Sanique could thank him, Quinn intervened, "Finn. What did I say about complimenting other girls?"

Sanique rolled her eyes as she opened her locker to take her supplies out. She silently chuckled to herself at witnessing him mutter a silent apology. As she turned on her heels to head to class, she overheard Finn muster up the courage to back talk her.

"To be fair Quinn, you were there too! I saw you staring at her running the mile." Finn whisper-shouted.

"Can you hush. I was not staring at her. I was just.. admiring her determination." Quinn blushed while burning holes into the back of Sanique's head.

***

Sanique never particularly liked Rachel Berry, but after seeing her get slushied by Noah Puckerman, she couldn't help but pity her.

"Come with me," sighed Sanique. "Let's get you cleaned up."

Rachel allowed Sanique to take her forearm and lead her to the girl's bathroom. As the curly-haired girl gently wiped the slushy off her face, she wondered why the resident blabbermouth didn't have a word to say.