5: His Secret

2011 © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 

I awoke to the sound of my phone buzzing. I groaned and pulled the covers over my face to hide from the annoying noise but unfortunately it continued to buzz against the wooden side table. I flung the covers off and scrambled for the phone through the darkness. I angrily accepted the call "this had BETTER be good!" 

"August can you come and pick me up please!" I rubbed the sleepy haze from my eyes and shuffled up in bed "Kiera whats wrong?" Her voice sounded so dead that it made goosebumps sweep across my skin "just come an pick me up and I will tell you then". I scurried out of bed and just narrowly missed tripping over my shoes in the darkened bedroom "Kiera tell me where you are and I will be there as soon as!"

After listening to her directions I hurridly got changed, dashed into the kitchen and grabbed a pair of car keys before running out of the house.I pulled my leather jacket closer to my body as the night sea air was harsh and cold against my skin. I stepped up in front of a few cars and pressed the unlock button on the keys and dashed over to the black car that responded. 

The tires screeched to a hault outside of the bar, I shot out of the car prepared to enter when I heard my name being called. I turned and was crushed into a hug by a heavily crying Kiera "he didn't want me!" I held her tighter and ignored the moisture of her tears running down my neck.

"What happened!" Kiera didn't release me from her hug, instead she readjusted her head and spoke her story on my shoulder. "I told him everything and at first he didn't believe me so I kissed him and he immediately responded and I actually felt our connection grow stronger. Paul took me here to hang out and celebrate but then Rachel came into the bar and told him that he would be better with her, that she would make his life exciting..." her words stop as a sob slipped from her mouth.

I soothingly rubbed her back and waited for her to continue "Paul agreed and just left me". I gently pulled her away from me "its OK Kiera, where is he?" she wiped the tears away from her eyes and attempted to stop her shakes "in the bar why?"

I fixed my jacket "is Rachel there?" 

"No she left but promised to see Paul soonl" It hurt me so much to see such a beautiful girl stand there in pure agony over the rejection of her soul mate. I clenched my fists tightly "wait in the car I will be a few seconds".

I turned towards the bar but Kiera's firm grip on my arm stopped me "what are you doing?" I turned my head towards her and tried to hide my inner anger at seeing the pain and heartbreak deep within her eyes. No one deserved to be treated this way, espically not Kiera.

"Showing Paul that he had made a big mistake" I shrugged her off and marched into the bar, a woman on a mission. 

As soon as I entered the bar, the smell of werewolves hit me like a tidal wave and the scent seemed more toxic with the stench of alcohol that clung to the warm air of the bar. Pitbull was being played roughly in the background and my ears worked hard to block out the constant noise of the glasses, chatter and bet machine. The whole place was small and very noisey with groups of men all happlily drinking their thoughts away.

I wasn't a big lover of alcohol. I had seen it turn good girls into bad, normal men go mad and parties being crashed by the police.

I walked past the bar and the wandering eyes of men perched on the bar stools, and I chose to ignore the glare of the two female bar maids who scanned me like I was dirt on the bottom of their shoe. I noticed James's friends Jack and Chris playing a game of pool, I walked over to them and Jack being the first to notice me pointed my presence out to Chris. He smiled and winked at me and I could see the want in his eyes, and as much as I would love to smack the look right off his face, I had more important things to deal with.