Cɦɑpteɾ 15

♫ We never say goodbye, we just go We could stay here 'til the cops come♫

Charles Leclerc POV

She was gorgeous. Natalie had no filter, she was the most fun person to be with, she made a joke out of everything and I loved it. And so does Lucas, and I get it.

We arrived at our reserved table and I enjoyed the view over Monaco and I could tell she did too. We ordered our food quickly and the silence was there.

"Charles, thank you for bringing me here. This is even more gorgeous than in the pictures," she says happily as she finally looks at me and I smile.

"I thought you would like it, good food with a view is always a good choice," I am pleased that I made the right decision.

"So, tell me about yourself," I ask her as I serve her the wine we had requested.

"I think my dad didn't tell you but my mom walked out too when I was young. I don't know if that affected me as much but I can see what Lucas might be missing sometimes. Growing up with only one parent is difficult, it doesn't matter if they do everything for us. You know the person who was supposed to love you above all left, and you never find out why, so it is scary."

"Your dad is very involved, he is great. But also, you two are so alike, the jokes and the mannerisms, I love that relationship. I lost my dad a few months before Lucas was born, my dad never got to meet him and it was probably the most heartbreaking moment of my life. My dad passed and then my son was born," I tell her, and I see the surprise on her face.

"Oh, I would be a mess but I am glad he knew of his grandson, I think that helped him get some peace if you ask me. You make your dad proud every day, and you are making your son proud too by dealing with this phase, he is a good kid," she says happily.

"I never asked and now I am feeling stupid. Are you dating someone?" I ask once that thought settles into me.

"No! Gosh, no. I was too busy with college and meaningless hookups and then I was busy with working. Now, my time has come, but I am too busy flying across the world for the most part of the year, so that is not a thing either. How do you date?" She asks interestedly, and I laugh.

"I mean, now I don't. But it's all about balance. We spend a lot of time in Europe so the person could fly out to me or me to them. That's how the other drivers do it, I just stepped away from that, having a kid was more than enough to fill my time and worries."

"What are we doing here? Are you getting to know the woman who gathered your son's attention?" She asks as she leans back and I lean back on my chair too.

"That is a way to look at it, but I also find you to be an incredible person, very attractive and funny. I want to get to know you overall. I don't know if it's romantic or anything but it's definitely not a colleague situation or to just maintain a good image. I like having you around," I admit it and she smiles.

"I can totally live with that. But tell me about yourself Charles, you are more than a Formula 1 driver and a dad."

That sparked a whole different talk, I think I've never had such an easy conversation with anyone before. I told her about my career, more details about my dad, some funny stories about my brothers, and a lot about Lucas.

She told me about her time in university, things she did with her dad, and how he is having his middle-age crisis by doing thrilling stuff now that she left the house and is only back temporarily between races.

We were there until it closed, it was way more fun than I expected. I think she was my camera roll and I saw hers. She was all happy when she saw Lucas's photos through the years.

"Thank you for coming, this was fun," I tell her once I stop the car in front of her apartment building.

"Oh, this was way better than I expected, thank you for inviting me," she leaned and kissed my cheek before leaving the car, and I smiled.

I stood by as I watched her get into the building, she turned around and waved, I waved back and drove off. We live 5 minutes by car from each other so how did we never meet here? How were the chances on our side in that flight? What if her dad never paid for her first-class ticket? Would I ever be able to have these moments with Lucas? Would I ever see him laugh and smile?

It was a busy week but Lucas was dressed and ready to go with Nat as soon as Friday morning came around. He was wearing the Ferrari merchandise he had always refused to wear. We have been in the garage for half an hour, and I don't think I've ever seen him more nervous than today.

"Do you think she forgot about me?" He asks in his usual quiet tone, and I shake my head.

"No! She could never forget about you, but things don't start this early, she could go to the motorhome and get you if you want," I tell him calmly and he looks at my mom who smiles.

"She didn't answer my text," he insists and I laugh.

"She is coming, don't worry about it. She is probably walking here right now; how could she forget you? She wanted to spend this weekend with you, remember?" I tell him as I try to comfort him, this is the most words he has ever said, I don't even remember him saying a full sentence ever.

"She loves you, Lucas, she will be here before you notice," my mom says as we see him put on his hat again, covering his face. A few more minutes went by, and he was still sad.

"What's up with him?" Carlos asks worriedly.

"He is waiting for Natalie and I feel like shit, she is not answering, I tried calling but nothing," I say as I see his little pout and how his eyes were teary.

"I'm sure she will be here, don't overthink it. Like father, like son," Carlos laughs and my mom does too.

He never waited for his mom to come back when she left, he just didn't care. It was not like she was with him a lot, only some weekends but he never waited. He was never upset by it, not on his birthday or other occasions. But here he is, about to cry because she is late to pick him up.