Cɦɑpteɾ 35

♬ Half asleep, taking your time
In the tangerine, neon light, this is luxury ♬

Charles Leclerc POV

I was talking to Carlos, Pierre, Lando and Max when someone touched my shoulder and I turned around. She is one of the women who Nat just went to sit with so I was confused.

"Hi! I'm Juliette. I am a huge fan, and seeing you in person, I can see why people nickname you the Prince of Monaco. You look even better in person," she was flirting with me and I just smiled.

"Well, it's great to know you, Juliette. Are you a friend of Natalie?" If she was, she shouldn't be here; I'm pretty sure even fuck buddies are off-limits, especially when we are still a thing.

"I am a friend of a friend; I've known Natalie for a few years. I'm surprised she would be on your radar. She never liked kids but I guess she has always been a good actress, always playing nice and backstabbing when people aren't useful for her purpose," she said it so casually I was surprised.

"Maybe that's something you should discuss with her," I looked at Natalie, and she was calmly sipping her drink. No jealousy? And I thought this could be something. Is she that sure of herself?"

"She won't admit her flaws, that would be useless. How about we go to the bar and buy some new drinks?" She asks as she plays with her hair and I shake my head.

"I am not doing that. I am sorry. I am pretty sure you know Natalie and I are a thing, and this conversation has been going on for far too long; let's try to be respectful. It's her birthday," I say, and she takes a step ahead.

"How about we forget that? It's almost past midnight; she won't care. You are just a cool name to add to her list and a good-looking accessory to flaunt," she suggests before trying to kiss me, but I step back quickly enough.

I looked at Natalie and her eyes were shooting daggers at me, jealousy. I smiled and winked before turning my back on her and her acquaintance, who got the clue to leave.

"Charles!" I hear my name coming from her pretty mouth, and I turn around.

"What a great friend group; I wonder what might come next," I joke, but she remains serious.

"Did you truly give her the time of the day?" She asks as she crosses her arms. I laugh.

"I didn't, no need to be jealous. All 24 hours of your day were given to you, I didn't even give her 1 minute of my time. I looked for you, but you were so chill I thought she was just being nice until she wasn't," I am having my fun, but she rolls her eyes.

"I'm not the jealous type Charles, just don't do it with people I know, that's all I ask," she says and I nod as I lean closer.

"Agreed. Give me a kiss, baby, make her sit in her own envy," I whisper, and she does kiss me, but I see something new next. She took her lipstick out, reapplied it, and kissed my neck and the collar of my shirt.

"Looks good now," she says proudly.

"Are you marking me?" I am surprised at the audacity this woman has.

"Just for today," she says with a pleased smile.

"You are lucky it's your birthday, I would give you the same treatment if it weren't. But let him touch you again, and I will show you how it's done, ma belle," I say, and she nods.

"I am leaving with you, so come get me when it's time," she says as she prepares to leave, but I hold her wrist, pull her closer, and kiss her passionately. Jean can watch it clearly now.

We stayed for three more hours until I went to get her. When I arrived home, my mom was sleeping in the guest bedroom, and Lucas was sleeping peacefully in his room. So Natalie and I took a shower; she put on a sports bra, a shirt of mine, and my boxer shorts.

"Where are you going?" I ask as I run into Natalie in the hallway as I came back from getting water in the kitchen.

"I'm going to see Lucas," she drags the words out but I stop her.

"You saw him when we got in; let's go," I say as I try to stop her, but she still insists on continuing, so I follow her.

"Let me sleep with him. I love him so much; look at this little angel," she says as her eyes fill with tears, and I nod.

"Go ahead, but I doubt he will like that. He started sleeping alone pretty early, he even makes his own bed in the mornings," I comment and she nods happily.

I watched as she sneakily got into his bed; he has a big bed, and he always moved a lot, so it made sense. She lied down, and I saw him turn to her side and look at her sleepily.

"Mom?" He questions confusedly, and she kisses the top of his head.

"Can mom sleep here?" she asks, and he nods as he closes his eyes. I still observe how precious it all is.

He put his little head in front of hers and slept as peacefully as before.

"Charles," she whispers, and I get closer.

"Yes?"

"Thank you for everything and for allowing me to be with him. You are truly an amazing man; don't ever doubt that," she says as she closes her eyes, and I smile.

"Thank you for being here; sleep well, Nat," I say as I kiss the top of her head and then my son's since it wasn't that big of a trip.

I might've slept alone, but my heart was full, and it was even better when I woke and walked to the hallway to find them still sleeping. They both hugged each other in a very messy but so endearing way. I would've believed this woman had been here for these past few years; I would've believed the boy was hers. And I have wished that a few times myself. I wish I had chosen better.

I wish I had found her earlier. I would've fallen in love, I would've been happy, I would've given my kid a lovely childhood and a loving mother from the start because, god damn, Natalie was all one could dream of and more. And here I am, fighting the impossible.

I might not want to fall in love, but I might be in love already. Fighting love is worthless but I could fight for it instead of against it.