Cɦɑpteɾ 40

♪ You're terrified to look down, 'Cause if you dare, you'll see the glare
Of everyone you burned just to get there
It's coming back around ♪

Natalie Beaufoy POV

I had a hard time arriving at the circuit, doing it only 10 minutes before his competition was set to start, and that's when I noticed my dad was kneeling down as he seemed to be cheering him up as he shyly smiled. I got Pascale on the way here since she was in the dark about this too. Lucas made my dad promise not to tell, or he wouldn't race.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me," I say as I approach him and he turns around startled.

"Mom! But- You were in Italy," he is confused and I kneel down to his height.

"I could be in Australia. I am not missing my son's first race and your dad would be here too if he could, you can't keep us away," I say as I caress his cheek and he pouts.

"You were working. I am not going to win, I am not as good as dad," he mutters and I shake my head.

"Your dad wasn't always good. He is in Ferrari, he might be the world champion this year but he took a good beating previously. Losing builds a winner and I truly do believe you can win. I know Anthoine has taken you to plenty of karting and so has Lorenzo and Pascale. You've been doing this for a month and you might have fun participating and win in a few weeks," I say and he listened carefully.

"Do you think I could win?" He asks my dad and Lorenzo, who nod confidently.

"I've seen you; you are damn aggressive on that thing," Lorenzo says, certain, and I point at him excitedly.

"See? You can win! And you will take that damn trophy home because you are your dad's son! And you are your mother's son too! You will do this just for the fun of it and to prove everyone wrong. A rookie can win on his debut!" I am cheering him up and I see his confidence rising steadily.

"Yes!" He says as he puts his little helmet on.

I called Charles and he picked up as the Ferrari garage appeared in the background.

"He is starting now!" I say excitedly as I turn the view to the circuit and my dad was recording it in his camera. Since when did he get a camera?

"It's starting!" he yells, and I see Arthur coming before I settle the phone on the bench so they can generally see it, noticing as Lorenzo picks it up to show them every single turn. I cheered for him like a proud mom would.

I would be good with anything since he was new to this, but seeing my son actually get first place was just mindblowing, and I ran to him as he exited the car, picking him up and spinning him in the air.

"My winner!" I say proudly as he takes his helmet off.

"I won, Mom!" He says happily and I nod.

"You did! I told you you could win," I say proudly, tears filling my eyes, and I look back, Lorenzo giving me the phone.

"Dad! I won," he says proudly and I see the tears Charles tried to hide.

"You did! I am so proud of you, mon prince. We will celebrate it on Sunday; I will be there as soon as I can, okay?" He was so proud that the words were shaky and Lucas profusely.

"You will win too and we can celebrate it. Let's make Mom proud," he asks him, and Charles chuckles.

"We will make mom proud. I will win for her," he seemed to be serious and I felt a lump in my throat.

Are we a thing because Lucas and I get along well or because there is something else between us? This can't be just sex, not anymore. The talk was short since Lucas had to go to his little podium, and I watched proudly, all doubts returning to the back of my mind.

But there was no damn way I would be missing Monza in my first year at Ferrari, I rested for the night, and Lucas insisted until I agreed to take him with me back to Italy. Which I would've done anyway since the second he appeared in the garage with his trophy in his arms to show it to his dad.

I drove the almost 5 hours to Monza and walked quickly to the garage as I saw Charles and Arthur talking before his race was due to start.

"Dad! Look!" Lucas runs to his dad proudly, holding the trophy closely, and I walk quickly to reach them as Charles picks him up.

"That is gorgeous!" Charles says excitedly as he kisses his cheek proudly, holding his trophy in his free hand and then handing it to Arthur.

"Surprise!" I say as Charles puts his hat on top of my head, it's almost a ritual by now. My sunglasses were enough until now.

"You could've told me," he said as he puts Lucas down and Arthur was chatting with him.

"I just wanted to see what a Ferrari win in Monza is like," I say excitedly and he proudly smiles.

"I hope you are talking about me," he was distracted; he was going to kiss me, and I took a step back as Arthur chuckled.

"Dad," Lucas calls and we look at him.

"If you win the race, I have something for you," he says, and Charles nods.

"And if I don't win?"

"Then you don't deserve it yet," I tried not to laugh as Charles did laugh after being taken aback.

"I mean, it's fair, but god damn. Are you here to roast me?" He jokes as he messes Lucas's hair, and Lucas comes to my side, waiting for me to fix it, which I promptly do.

"2 minutes to go," Charles is warned, and I back away.

"I will see you soon," I say as Arthur picks Lucas and walks away.

"Just a good luck kiss, please," Charles asks and I look around at the crowded starting line. "They already think we are dating, they have pictures of us kissing. I will get on my knees if I have to, Natalie," he is serious, and I nod.

"Fine. Good luck Charles, I will be waiting for you," I say before I get closer and I kiss him.

The kiss was fast, and I left to the garage with some of the team. Arthur was distracting Lucas, and I wondered if Lucas was really that cool about us dating. Because I might be having a talk with Charles after this, he basically made it official before we ever discussed it.

But it didn't matter for the time the race lasted since Charles did win comfortably. Everyone waited for him as he parked the car and came to hug us after all procedures were checked. He took Lucas in his arms and interviewed with him there, proudly announcing his kid's newest acquainted win yesterday. Lucas was smiling happily as he clung to his dad before returning to my side, and Charles rested before the podium.

I wouldn't have missed this even if the car broke down on the way here. This is priceless.